V. Wierd Problem Need Help!!!!

Fisher

Fully Optimized
Please bare with this, I know it is long but a lot of weird things have happen up to its death!!

Computer specs:

The comp is less than 6 months old

AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+ Winchester 939 socket
1G Corsair pc3200 ddr400
Connect 3D Radeon x850 XT PCIe – only had since June 26th
MSI ATI RX480M2 motherboard
Hiper 525w 12v Low Noise PSU
DVD writer
Floppy Drive
Memory Card reader
Three fans
120 G sata hard drive – C:\
Two 250G hard drives (Storage), one sata (not on raid), one IDE
Windows XP home

Nothing Over-clocked

This problem started when my computer was on over night in which there was a power cut. Turned it on the next morning played call of duty UO online and noticed it started to lag after a while. Closed down cod and noticed my comp was being very strange:
• Could not open icons on the desktop, had to right click and go to open.
• When writing down the symptoms in note pad the icon where you're writing was rapidly blinking
• When playing mp3, it was like it was skipping
• The strangest thing is the computer clock. A minute would tick away about every three seconds. It would get to around 03.45 and then go back to 02.35.
• Pressed Ctrl Alt and Del had a look at the performance and the CPU was going up and down from 15% to 25%.

It was like the computer went into overdrive

It would go back to normal when I reset the comp but would soon start again when I played a game.

Scanned all the hard drives using Norton Antivirus 2005. Nothing found
Scandisked the C:\ drive no problems
Re-installed the sound drivers and video card drivers. Still happened again when I played COD

A couple of times it would not start properly, it would not even show any thing on the screen or it would get to the Windows XP load up screen and would lag out

THEN!!! It appeared to have sorted it self out. Played COD ok and everything. Until one morning when I turned it on. Got into windows fine. But then went very slow, so slow that it had a hard trouble opening up a menu. Came up with a box saying that the VPU on the graphics card has recovered from an error. Reset the comp and then it wouldn't start. Left it a bit, it started up fine, loading up windows fine and then it just cut itself out. Left it until the next day. Started up fine again until it got to the Windows xp load screen and cut out again. From then on it will not start.

I have my suspicions on the graphics card but would like some expert advice as I'm only an amateur enthusiast.

Before you mess around with your hardware, maybe you should format your hard drive, reinstall windows, and see if that is the problem...
oh, and was your system useing a surge protector?

This seems to be a heat issue to me. I find it strang that if u let it sit (cool off) that is would run smoth again, untill u asked somthing off it. But you say no OC was done? are you using stock cooling? Is it working right. Try looking at the temps....:S

Wow man you took a hit. You might try a reinstall but I doubt if it will help.
This is a classic textbook exsample of why a back up power supply with surge surpression is a must have. $38.00USD for a APC 350watt UPS. www.microcenter.com

I know its bad isnt it. I have my doubts on any software problems as it all runs fine with no errors (apart from all that wierd stuff at the beginning). It just cuts out and now it wont even start up. The last error i got up on screen is was a VPU one about the graphics card.

I have a surge protected adaptor which appears to work with no problems.

The graphics card has stock cooling on it. When i last looked it was at about 42 degrees and when i stopped playing a game it was at about 54 degrees.

I believe it to be a heat or power problem but if someone could still explain why all that wierd stuff happened that would be great! To me that seemed like a driver or a CPU problem

I am going to swap some stuff over with my old PC like the powersupply today but unfortunatly i cant test the graphics card as my old pc was AGP plus i dont know anyone else with a PCIe motherboard. If all else fails im going to ring up savastore.com (where i got the card form) and see if i can get it replaced. Ill keep everyone informed as i test more stuff. I know the Corsiar memory is fine as im using it now.

I killed my last graphics card by overclocking it. It was an AIW x600 pro. That showed similar problems to this in the way it would cut out the pc altogether and then eventually not even restart. But yet that had loads of artifacts appear on screen towards the end of its day (bless the thing, it tried hard) which the new graphics card does not

Back
Top Bottom