Digital Technology and Reality

dickie

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could help me with a piece of coursework I have to do for Uni, I would really appreciate different peoples opinions and thoughts.

It has been claimed that digital technology provides an escape route from reality.
To what extent is this true?
Should we be concerned?
What can be done about it?

Thanking people in advance for any help.

Rich

In my opinion the digital revolution has not only made life for some simpler but has given them the chance to reach out to others they never would have known. As for the exscape from reality angle, would you not rather a sex offender go to a web site and toss off than have them go rape someone? online games they'er good to a point. Some go overboard with them. It would appear to me they get immerst in the games as an exscape from the real world where they are bullied and victumized.
In either case it has served a purpose.
As for should we be concerned. Well yes we should. As with modern life saving drugs, the internet and all of it's good points and bad can be abused or addictive.
Well what can we do about it? People have the freedom to come and go as they see fit. The same applies to the internet. The more you take that away the more underground things will go.

Technology has done some good. Than again....it can do horrible. The sex offenders thing is a touchy subject. Lots of people get subjected to that over Messengers. But I believe they should have the sense and people telling them whats right and shouldnt be as stupid to give it out.

I tend to agree that it is providing a sense of virtual reality but at its current 'basic' point, I think it is a good think and rather nothing to be worried about as yet.

Just look at some of the games out there now. MMORPG's let people create a whole new person and new personality. There was even some guy that killed himself cause of everquest. Also look at the GTA games. talk about escaping reality.

Back
Top Bottom