Dell Inspiron 8600 Upgrade

clowes

Beta member
Hi, I am a 17 year old who earns all his money from php programming.... I really want/need to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 8600 because I can't afford to buy a new laptop.

I dont really understand much about what can and can't be upgraded but I have a budget of about £300($700) to spend maximum.

My current specs are:

Windows XP Home Edition SP1
512Mb of 200-pin SODIMM DDR PC2700

On My Computer it says:
"Computer:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
processor 1500Mhz
598Mhz"

Any explanation as to what the 598 Mhz underneath would be great??

As for the graphics card etc... I have reinstalled windows about 3 times already and each time I have reinstalled drivers from the dell drivers disk... I don't know if they are the correct drivers but they seem to work...
If anyone can tell me how to find out what graphics, video cards etc I have that would also be great.

As for upgrades links, ideas, and prices would be great.

Thanks in advance, and on a side note If you need any php/mysql I will be happy to help for some cash.

Tom

Get Everest home edition. www.google.com

Also, if u ever want to help me with php PM me :p.

I would highly recommend you NOT upgrade your laptop because they are completely different from normal desktop computers.

Hey your pm box is full....,
I would be willing to help you with php depending on the following:

What you need:
When:
Price:

Thanks a lot.

As for the laptop upgrade why is it better that I dont upgrade it??

because a lot of stuff is integrated into a labtop, meaning it can't be upgraded, and theres so little space and alot of times you need special parts that can be hard to install. And lots of other things that just make u go grrrrrrrrr.

Anyways 598 mhz is the FSB (Front Side Bus) of your processor. All's you need to know about FSB is that more is better :p.

Heres a rough idea of things you could do, I would reccomend a new processor, another stick of 512 mb of ram, and a video card if you like to game.

I would post links to what exact processor you should buy, and what exact ram you could buy, and what video card, but I don't know what motherboard you have so I don't know what kind of parts you have.

Download everest as the other person said;
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

run the report wizard, (hit the report button on the top bar and then hit report wizard.) follow the steps,
When you get to the page in the report wizard that says "Report Profile" select all pages, then hit next. You can put it into HTML or plain text don't matter, i think the html version is easier to read. Then just post what it says up here and we'll be able to help you more.

What are your guys views on this idea... I sell my 2*256mb sticks of ram for maybe £10-15 each (PM if your interested). Then I buy 2*1GB sticks of ram off ebay for £150.

Do you think thats a good worthwhile deal? Also if i did that what would I be able to se performance wise? i.e how many programs could I open and use without having to wait at all etc?

Thanks a lot.

Computergen said:
Ah no free working!!! Damn you!!!! You will rue the day you asked computergen for money!

Start ruing!!!! Nah its the dotOmega development forums www.dev.dotomega.com its a community system well underway!

Did I detect a Zim reference in that response? ;)

Back
Top Bottom