Power Supply Issue?

Looie131

Beta member
So i just built a brand new computer, and when i play games my 12 volt rail drops to just above 10 volts. Its a Diablo 550W PSU. Could this be caused by having certain things using the same power line? I have my Graphics card and harddrive hooked up on one line and my CD and DVD drive on the other along with some fans. Should i ditch this supply and look into an Antec? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yea the system boots, maybe its not even a problem, and im just a worried person. When i play games the 12v will drop to about 10.5. Is that even a problem? But my Asus Probe beeps warning me that it has reached its 10% threshold.

It sounds like the amps on the psu's 12volt rail are not enough to operate every thing. On modern systems 15 to 20 amps on the 12volt rail is good. But psu makers are still in the 70's when it comes to making them. The 5volt rail on a lot of psu's still gets the lion's share of the output amps. It's really best to shop for a power supply at a computer shop. That way you can hold it in your hands and check the power rails capasity.
Something to bear in mind.
1> The cpu runs on 12volts
2> The graphics card's externat power runs on 12volts
3> The hard drives platter and amature motors run on 12volts
4> The optical drives disc motor runs on 12volts
5> The fans run on 12volts
There's a lot going on. Shop carefully.

Back
Top Bottom