Help with new gaming rig....

snakemanc5

Beta member
Hi everyone,

Ive been wanting to build a need comp for awhile and since my old gaming machine decided to die ive started on my new one. my problem is i cant decide on some components. im gonna list what im considering getting, hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. im trying to put together a beast of a computer, so if anyone has any tips, or recomendations on best components id really appreciate it.

asus vento 3600 case.......................already bought

PC Power & Cooling 510 PSU

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo.................already bought

2 gigs (eventually 4gigs) Corsair XMS Platinum in 1gb sticks

AMD Athlon 64 FX55 -or- AMD Athlon x2 4800+

2x 74gb 10,000rpm Raptor hd's (in RAID 0)

BFG 7800GTX 256 PCI-E Video Card (eventually 2 in SLI)

ill probably be using optical drives from an old computer untili get the money for dual DVD burners, and ill be using a soundcard, speakers, and monitor that ive already had.

How does that look for a gaming PC? any advice on setup or anything at all would be great.
thanks in advance
David

That's a very nice setup. About the processor, it really depends what you're gonna do with it. Are you a heavy multitasker? Or are you a gamer that likes to surf the net etc.?

He's probably going to be doing some serious gaming. The CPU worth getting for that application would be the Athlon 64 FX series processors. They beat all in gaming benchmarks.

Yeah, in that case, get the Athlon FX-57 (if you can afford it) or if you can't, get the FX-55.

thanks for the input guys. nah, im not really going to be doing alot of multitasking regularly, i really just want this to be able to run any game at full quality without ANY stutter. ;)

i havent been able to find many reviews acctually comparing the FX55(or FX57) with the dual core X2 4800+. ive read good things about the X2 but i havent seen much info about them in gaming. any info, links or reviews???

a couple of things that are concerning me are....

my motherboard supports so many options to set in the BIOS that im abit confused about what i should set on it.

ive also never done any overclocking before but ive considered maybe overclocking my CPU mildly since ive heard that the FX series and the mobo i bought are very stable even if overclocked abit. the Video card i want is overclocked by BFG so im not worried about it.

im also abit lost when trying to compare the RAM speeds. since DDR2 isnt supported by AMD chipsets yet, i want to get the quickest RAM i can find. ive also read something about acctually adjusting the voltage to increase perfomance. does that sound right? any tips? (last comp i really tweaked had rambus, so things have changed abit)

im gonna keep reading up on this and searching this forum in hopes of getting everything decided soon. its gonna take awhile to get all the parts but should payoff.

thanks again,
David

not worth the fx-55. Get the amd64 4000+, it is the fx 53 and was renamed to the 4000+. Buy the zalman 120mm cpu cooler fan and heatsink and oc it to 2.8 which the fx57 is at. it will save you hundreds and ull be happier so you can buy another 7800gtx. for the memory, xms sucks, get ocz gold series ddr500 pc4000 and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

amd 4000, zalaman 120mm heatsink fan, an extra 7800gtx and ocz gold series ddr500 pc4000 ram and your SOO Set. Go ahead and waste your money on an fx, but its better for games with 2 7800's then one and a slighty faster out of the box processor.

snakemanc5 said:
thanks for the input guys. nah, im not really going to be doing alot of multitasking regularly, i really just want this to be able to run any game at full quality without ANY stutter. ;)

i havent been able to find many reviews acctually comparing the FX55(or FX57) with the dual core X2 4800+. ive read good things about the X2 but i havent seen much info about them in gaming. any info, links or reviews???

a couple of things that are concerning me are....

my motherboard supports so many options to set in the BIOS that im abit confused about what i should set on it.

ive also never done any overclocking before but ive considered maybe overclocking my CPU mildly since ive heard that the FX series and the mobo i bought are very stable even if overclocked abit. the Video card i want is overclocked by BFG so im not worried about it.

im also abit lost when trying to compare the RAM speeds. since DDR2 isnt supported by AMD chipsets yet, i want to get the quickest RAM i can find. ive also read something about acctually adjusting the voltage to increase perfomance. does that sound right? any tips? (last comp i really tweaked had rambus, so things have changed abit)

im gonna keep reading up on this and searching this forum in hopes of getting everything decided soon. its gonna take awhile to get all the parts but should payoff.

thanks again,
David

Then wait until 2006. AMD is adopting DDR2 next year.

not worth the fx-55. Get the amd64 4000+, it is the fx 53 and was renamed to the 4000+. Buy the zalman 120mm cpu cooler fan and heatsink and oc it to 2.8 which the fx57 is at. it will save you hundreds and ull be happier so you can buy another 7800gtx. for the memory, xms sucks, get ocz gold series ddr500 pc4000 and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

amd 4000, zalaman 120mm heatsink fan, an extra 7800gtx and ocz gold series ddr500 pc4000 ram and your SOO Set. Go ahead and waste your money on an fx, but its better for games with 2 7800's then one and a slighty faster out of the box processor.

This is my setup, but i have only one bfg tech card and it KICKS THE SHIT out of any game your throw at it at ULTRA Highest Settings, NO LAG whatsoever. Now, with your dual 7800's youll rip for the next few years :)

amd 4000:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

ocz Gold Series pc4000 ddr500 (Awesomly FAST)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227206

bfg tech 7800gtx x2 (what i have, THE BEST)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143036

Zalman 120mm Fanand Heatsink(its Huge, cpu NEVER GETS HOT, no matter the OC!!!!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

Then Your set.

thanks for the info guys!!

Alvino...come on buddy, im sitting at an HP minitower with a celeron 633mhz and 128ram :( no way i can wait a year lol. my gaming comp died awhile back so im stuck with this to use for internet (oh and this thing has onboard graphics too.) oh, and alittle off subject, but i saw you were on the thread comparing 3dMark scores. any idea how this system might stack up? (with dual GTX7800's)

Pffft?... thanks for the advice. im glad to see the 7800gtx's are as good as ive read. i cant wait to get a pair. as for the PC500, im not sure that my mobo supports it, it only lists 400/333/266 in the manual.

as far as the processor, i may just go with the one youve listed until i get more money for an FX55,57 or a dualcore. not really sure yet, im trying to findout what the "safe" OC limits for each of those CPU's are.

im not really sure what ill overclock, if i end up doing it at all. also, as far as gaming performance goes, what do you guys think will be the limiting factor out of this list (i.e...what will be the first thing to limit the system?) just trying to make sure im focusing on the right areas

thanks again for you guys help
David

Back
Top Bottom