Urgent help Please! Cannot load any application (.lnk or .exe application files)

Grendiazer

Solid State Member
Hello

I am running windows XP pro and have turned on the option for "automatically download and install windows updates".
Yesterday I noticed that some new updates were being downloaded and installed. At the end of installation I was prompted to restart windows (for the changes to take effect).

Immediately after restarting the computer, I was shown warning messages with action required from my Ad-Aware program which showed that some changes will take place to my windows registry file. I accepted for the changes to take place, as I thought to myself that these changes are clearly down to the new windows updates that have been downloaded and installed which are done from the trusted Microsoft windows update site.

Unfortunately after accepting the changes to take place, I lost all my icons on my desktop, start menu and quick launch toolbar, and these were replaced by the windows icon for (unknown file type). When I try to load any application, I get the windows message that windows cannot open the file as it needs to know which application created it. It also gives the option for me to select the web service or select the program manually from a list to open the file with.

This is the case with all the .lnk files for my applications in start menu, desktop and quick launch toolbar. Its not only that the link files don't work but also even if I try to open the application by loading the corresponding .exe files from Program Files folder, the application still doesn't load.

The only way I can load the application is to open a previously saved file of that application. For example to open MS word application, I have to open it by first opening an already saved word document file on my computer, or to open Windows Media Player I have to first open an mpeg video file for example that will automatically launch windows media player.

So basically all the .lnk and .exe files do not work. I cannot do much on the computer, as the only application that loads normally is IE. I cannot run regedit from the windows Run command or open the add/remove programs tool to uninstall some programs and re-install them to check if that will resolve the problem. I cannot even get into my system clock, right click on desktop to access display properties or load anything from control panel....etc.

I am not brilliant with computers and perhaps that is why I have not been able to resolve this problem especially that I have not experienced this problem before!

Can anybody please help me with solving this problem? I do not want to have to format and re-install windows again as this would involve a lengthy process of re-installing all my programs again. It will also mean that I have to format and re-install windows 2003 server and all programs on that operating system (As I run multiple op. systems, win XP and win. 2003 server on my pc on different partitions) because as far as I know you have to install windows 2003 on top of windows XP for both systems to function properly.

Any help with this matter would be much much appreciated. Thanks

Very strange.... could be a virus. I don't really know. I've never heard of anything like that. Check Windows Update to see if there are any updates left to download.

I'd go with the virus theory here. U tried opening a anti-virus software? Because I am afraid that they might not open because they are .exe. U could also contact microsoft about this since this happened right after u updated.

That is weird ... i've never heard of anything like it as well ... virus seems likely although other things could have contributed towards this ...

I did have Zone Labs Security running when this happened, but I did think that it might be possible that a virus has escaped through the security system and caused this damage. Unfortunately I cannot check that now as my security system has been disabled now along with all the programs that were running at startup, and I cannot restart them due to not being able to open any program on the computer.

Although I think there is a possibility of a virus, I think that it is more likely that the problem was caused by the new updates that I downloaded especially since the programs have not been deleted or damaged, but only the links to these programs don't work and that the problem happened immediately after downloading the updates.

I should've never trusted Microsoft in the first place!! What on earth was I thinking! I may in the end have to contact them about this as was suggested.

Ok, didn't get a chance to post this before as I was quite busy. The problem has been sorted out 3 days ago after doing some research on the net.

If anybody is experiencing the same problem that I had (as above), then it can be easily sorted out if you read and follow the instructions under "Response Number 2" section at:
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/137051.html

Some more information about this problem can also be found here:
http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/165938.html
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/138029.html

or at the Microsoft page:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831559

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom