Subwoofer shatter my desk??

Quantum Flux said:
Im getting a 10" active 150w sub to compliment my new system. I was also going to get a new glass desk. It's a very powerful sub. Does anyone think it might shatter my new desk???:(:eek:

Are u planning to put the sub on the desk? If so then I don't know it will brake or not. I have my sub under my desk and the sound is good, u shouldn't have any problems if u place it under the desk.

It would take a lot more than a subwoofer would dish out to break a glass desk top. It being a 1/4" piece of TEMPERED glass will make it safer than a piece of standard glass. Tempered means it's just plain rugged. Being used as a desk top means it has to meet other safety standards also. The way the desk is put together adds to it strenght. If you're that concerned about it exploding the glass just put a piece of styrofoam under the subwoofer to absorb the vibrations that would be transmitted through its case to the glass. A very thin piece say 1/4 to 3/16 would do.
If it was me I would be a lot more concerned about damaging my hearing than my desk. That kind of power at that close of a range can do some serious permanant damage to your hearing.

Lol i like music loud :D
Although the glass may not break or crack, it will most likely atleast vibrate or shake ...
It depends on how high the volume is and how close the speaker is to your desk ...

I don't think that subwoofer will do any damage to your glass desk. I have neighbors that have deeper woofers on their cars that crank it full blast at my bedroom windows. They vibrate pretty good, but no crack whatsoever.

I highly doubt you would have any shattered glass from that. For one thing, a computer desk is designed to be able to hold a CRT monitor. Those are pretty damn heavy. If that doesn't break it, some deep bass would almost definitely do nothing to it. Like seti said, if you're worried, set it on a bit of styrofoam.

I wouldn't worry, yes the desk will vibrate, but glass is more resonant than wood, it will react (ie vibrate) much more anyway. but it won't shatter, it's actually more likely that intense high frequencies will do the damage as opposed to lower frequencies of bass. I sometimes help set up sound rigs for events, concerts, club nights etc and have often had speaker stacks running into the kilowatts (RMS) sitting right by windows running all night.

Back
Top Bottom