Need help please.

Serani1

Baseband Member
Ok so I have 2 drives in my pc, a dvd/cd burner and a regular cd rom, the dvd/cd burner stopped working a long time ago and I have done everything to fix it. (Suggestions?) Its set up to where its in my top slot and my regular cd rom is in the 2nd but when I looked at the properties it shows the dvd/cd burner at location (0) and the cd rom at (1) The drive is responding however, it eject, it just will not read/write. All cable s are connected.

Help me please!!

Yea, its a pc from hp (standing for horrible pc's) as I didn't have the knowledge to build pc's when I purchased it.

And I've gone to check out the drivers HP provides anyways and it shows two seperate ones, I tried both, but my drive rejects both of them.

If it show normal in the device manager then your fine..

have you moved these drives around? If so. You may have to look at your jumper settings.. One could be set to master and other to slave.. The end of the ribbon cable is the master.

Next make sure your pluggin in the ribbon cable correctly.. Look at the cable.. there should be a tiny red or orange line on one side of the cable.. This needs to be plugged in on the #1 pin of the cd drive.. Usally the red stripe will be next to the power plug of the drive.

If those dont work, can you put it in a different computer? Try that.. If they dont work then I think you have yourself a bad drive.

dhaval_1920 said:
or may be your lens inside your drive is not working.....happened to me once....
it may have over heated or something and the laser stopped working

I highly doubt it, but just in case, is there anyway to repair or replace the lens? I know drives arn't too expensive..but I am poor and yea heh, anyways, I am thinking either the lens or drive is bad, because I've checked all connections.

But what about it saying its in (0) location? The drive that doesn't work, my DVD/CD-RW is at the top slot on my tower and should be at location (1) but its read at location (0) and my CD-ROM which is in the second slot from the top is located at (1)

your drive location doesnt matter where your drive is on the tower.....it could be anywhere...what matters is where your drive is connected on motherboard....seems like your both drives are connected on different IDE's

Back
Top Bottom