is it worth geting a sound card with my new pc?

Every little bit of performance counts. Kind of like a car. You can choose to have a stock air filter put in there or you can add a K&N filter or a CAI system. BOth do the same job, but one help reduce some type of stress even if the gain aren't significant. I believe a CAI can increase HP by like 2-4 horsepower. Not much, but helps with congestion.

A sound card relieves the Southbridge from using its audio functions so it can do more intense processing at other things like USB, IDE channels, BIOS, IRQ's, etc...

Quantum Flux said:
i kno the graphics card does take stress off mbod/cpu but is the sound realy that much power to do. i imagine the difference would be negligable

nope....it WILL make huge difference on ur cpu perfomance...not that HUGE...but it will be a noticable difference.....onboard sound cards do take processing power....

TRDCorolla said:
Every little bit of performance counts. Kind of like a car. You can choose to have a stock air filter put in there or you can add a K&N filter or a CAI system. BOth do the same job, but one help reduce some type of stress even if the gain aren't significant. I believe a CAI can increase HP by like 2-4 horsepower. Not much, but helps with congestion.

A sound card relieves the Southbridge from using its audio functions so it can do more intense processing at other things like USB, IDE channels, BIOS, IRQ's, etc...

VERY well said, i have a quick question while we are on the topic of sound cards, what is batter 5.1 or 7.1???

Osak said:
VERY well said, i have a quick question while we are on the topic of sound cards, what is batter 5.1 or 7.1???

more the number the better...you just need 7.1 compitable sound card to get max out of ur 7.1

7.1 setups have two more speakers than the 5.1 setup. There is no sound difference between 5.1 and 7.1 sound cards. You might get more power though.

There is a definite sound quality difference between, say, the Live!'s and the Audigy 2's analog outs though.

before i canabalise my old computer for parts (not that thers much useful stuff) id like to run pcmark so i can compare the difference with my new pc.

where can i dowenload the latest version?

TRDCorolla said:
7.1 setups have two more speakers than the 5.1 setup. There is no sound difference between 5.1 and 7.1 sound cards. You might get more power though.

You cannot hookup 7.1 speakers in 5.1 compitable sound cards...7.1 cards has one jack more than 5.1 (for side speakers)

Back
Top Bottom