abit an8 ultra mobo
zalman 120mm cpu fan
thermaltake shark full tower case
lg dvd burner/writer ide format
western digital caviar 250gb sata 2 16mb cache hdd
sony floppy
ocz gold ddr500 pc4000 512mb x 2 ram
brand new windows xp oem

ok, now, i have everything hooked up and i turned the computer on and it worked fine. once i realized it worked, i put in the windows key without changing any settings. it was all fine until it froze when installing. i tried installing it like 5 times... and it froze on a different file everytime. could this have something to do with the ide dvd drive and the sata 2 hdd? also, my mobo says it supports up to ddr400 ram, so could that be an issue?

also what is all this stuff about raid and such? i have my cd drive as first boot device and hdd as the second, ive switched those two around and different errors came around. What COULD be wrong?

yes if your ram is ddr500 it means you have the wrong ram in there... you have to use ddr400 or lower I believe... but yeah.

Chris

draconum said:
yes if your ram is ddr500 it means you have the wrong ram in there... you have to use ddr400 or lower I believe... but yeah.

Chris

are you sure? i always thought if you put in a higher type ram it just peforms lower, so basically you just wasted money.

EDIT: just putting this out there, corrupted installation disc, or scratched?

mayorredbeard is correct. well i have 2 completely different copies of windows and tried using both of them and they didnt work. can i reformat it with the setup right at startup in that menu?

Oh, yes, high performance Ram can cause trouble even on Msi mobos.
They have some warning...

what startup menu are you talking about?

and when you said everything worked fine, i assume you were reffering to your hardware. So to my understanding you are installing windows, and you put in the liscence key, then when its installing it freezes at some point. Is this right? (Im on now, and so are you, so ill reply when you verify this)

Also, im not judging anyone or anything like that, but, are your copies of windows legal? I know some people that often run into problems.

EDIT: In refference to the high peformance ram possibly causing the problem... I don't think he would get that far and then it freezing. If it was the ram, i think it would freeze way before that.

the first screen you see when you turn the computer on, then i press delete and brings into the menu with bios and cmos and stuff. it never asked for the key, the first time i put it in it did all the installing and i guess it never made it to the point where i had to put in the cd key.

yes, it is legal, bought it off new egg.

Back
Top Bottom