does anyone know if this is true?

Yeah, I think the FPS for the average human is more than 60... I can see the difference from 60 to 80. But I never even thought of that.

hehe i did :D ... but then when the newer games come out that need the better graphics card to even run the game at 60fps thats when it comes in handy

Film movies depend on the lag in your eyes to make them work. As your eye is till retaining the previous image the new one is moved in to place and the shutter opens to let the projector light shine through. If it was not for the lag in the human eye then this type of movies would appear as a series of stills instead of a fluid motion.
How this pertains to refresh rates is your eye along with the rest of your body is synced to around 60 cycles. That is how household power is more apt to kill you than any other power cycle. 60 cycle power is close to your heartbeat and causes the heart to lock up.
This also pertains to the "refresh" rate of your retina. Some are faster, some are slower. You can figure this out by adjusting your monitor to different refresh rates and observing the results. When you find one setting that appears smooth to you, you have pretty much nailed down your retina's refresh rate. So to some higher refresh rates are better while to others a slower refresh rate works just fine.
Just on a side note> This could be the reason some games don't look right no matter what you do.

99nasha said:
I should think so...You dont notice your monitor flickering do you? Because thats what its doing...

I dont notice my LCD monitor flickering.. but I cannot stand to use my CRT monitor for long.. because it's so.. annoying.. because I can see it flickering.. nobody else in my family can.. lol even at school.. we have like.. 13 iMac G3's in our media center.. Their screens bug me.. lol

you have to use a higher frame rate on a monitor because you are sitting close to it, on a regular PAL TV the frame rate is only 50Hz but that doesn't hurt your eyes because you are further away from it.

anyone ever video taped a computer screen? all you can see are lines going through (well at least on my friends) does this have somehting to do w/ refresh rates?

MarxSoccer, I mentioned that in what I said, and yes, I do notice that :p For instance in the front 120mm fan on our computer, that tends to spin different ways and all sorts lol...

As for Setishock, I find he always seems to make sense, and this was no exception. Thanks for that :) Yeah, I do get it more now, bbut I still don't get this frame rate thing completly.

I have had a thoguht though. Maybe at higher refresh rates in monitors, they also seem to look smoother because the monitor is actually outputting an image better if its meant to go that high? Maybe thats the case in some?

As for Jcon89 with the lines going down the screen when using a camera, I have a feeling this is something different other than refresh rate (though in a way it must be to see the lines), but some cameras see them, and some dont...its weird...

You also notice, the further you are away from the screen when using a camera, the lines suddenly get to a point where they disapear, yet go any closer, and there back....and there rather big lines too.

I do have a sort of explanation for this though that I just conconted, and maybe its something to do with the pixels being too small or something for the camera to notice anything?

well if youve been playying computer for so long your eyes get adapted. Ive been playying since i was like 6 back in the old days. It's easy to see a change if your eyes are adapted. Though the only change i cant see is from 90-100FPS

Back
Top Bottom