Beginner help

Serani1

Baseband Member
Hey all, I need help as to what language I should learn first for computer programming. I have no goals in mind as to what kind of programs I want to compile, just a to get a general understanding of it. I can already use most web based languages.

i would say c++. its supported on more platforms than c# and is just as easy and fun to use ^_^
(plus, c++ compilers are free)

Tulsileaf said:
i would say c++. its supported on more platforms than c# and is just as easy and fun to use ^_^
(plus, c++ compilers are free)
More Platforms, but that is not a great deal more Computers, is it? :D And are those few million computers, with people on them who steal software, really worth the extra work that C++ would be over C#?

Although he could use the power of Visual C++ .NET with the Visual Studio Tools on that site... that would make it easier I supppse.

Lord Kalthorn said:
More Platforms, but that is not a great deal more Computers, is it? :D And are those few million computers,
umm....c++ is on windows, unix and hosts of other os's. c# is just on windows.

Lord Kalthorn said:
with people on them who steal software, really worth the extra work that C++ would be over C#?
windows is written in c++ so if your argument is true, Microsoft steals software :D

Lord Kalthorn said:
Although he could use the power of Visual C++ .NET with the Visual Studio Tools on that site... that would make it easier I supppse.
possibly, but i'm not going to let down the lead you just gave me. :)

Windows uses C++, but C++ isn't always cross platform.

For example, the system(); command executes commands on the system, like cls, dir etc.

So if you did
Code:
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

system("pause");

return 0;

}

and ran it on Linux, you'd get an error from Terminal/Konsole saying that the "pause" command wasn't recognised. system(); is a recognised function - the parameter passed in wasn't.

Also, the Win32 API and MFC are written in C++, but won't compile or run on anything other than Windows.

So it's not always true to say that C++ is cross platform, is it? :D

Tulsileaf said:
umm....c++ is on windows, unix and hosts of other os's. c# is just on windows.
Yeah. Other than Windows, which your C# Program would run on, there are only a few million Computers :D

Tulsileaf said:
windows is written in c++ so if your argument is true, Microsoft steals software :D
Microsoft buys software and makes it better :D And I didn't say C++ is a code for systems that steal software. Nor did I say that C++ coders steal software. I was pointing out that most of the extra possible users you would get from C++ over C# would be on Linux. A Group of people who primarily steal software and make it Open-Source.

Tulsileaf said:
possibly, but i'm not going to let down the lead you just gave me. :)
What lead? Misinterpreting me doesn't give you a lead :p

Back
Top Bottom