Dual Boot

Serani1

Baseband Member
Hey all I need to dual boot Windows XP home (with sp2) and Linux Red Hat 6.1 . Please help!!

When you say "then it said bash#" i'm assuming you mean your at a command prompt, which is normal. Next you need to partition/resize your disks, in which case you can follow these steps(which is on the link above):

At the prompt, type parted /dev/hdX or parted /dev/sdX (for whichever drive you want to repartition), where X is the partition number of that hard drive.

View the current partition table using the print command to determine the minor number of the partition to remove as well as the start and end points for the partition:

print

The used space of the partition to resize must not be larger than the new size.

Warning Warning

Any changes that you make with parted take place immediately.

To resize the partition, use the resize command followed by the minor number for the partition, the starting place in megabytes, and the end place in megabytes. For example:

resize 3 1024 2048

After resizing the partition, use the print command to confirm that the partition has been resized correctly, is the correct partition type, and is the correct file system type.

Once you have completed your repartitioning tasks, type exit to shutdown your system.

Finally, reboot your system. Rebooting may occur automatically, but if it does not, manually reboot your system.

You are now ready to install Red Hat Linux.

*EDIT* If all this sounds to involved for you, I would suggest installing a newer distro like SuSE which does all this for you upon installation. Here you can find free downloads of newer distros:
http://www.linuxiso.org/

Yes, definately partion your hard drive so that you can boot from both Windows and Redhats at will

type parted /dev/hdX or parted /dev/sdX Whenever I get to this part, it keeps saying sh: No such file or directory.

When you type parted /dev/hdX are you substituting the X for the drive you wish to partition?

Back
Top Bottom