Is it a virus?

Jmonty580

Baseband Member
I booted up my computer and it was running alittle slow. I have tons of things that start up when windows starts running and I dont use alot of them. Instead of just changing their settings to not start when windows starts, I decided that I wanted to remove a few of the programs that I dont really use. I go to controll panel and when I click it the icons on my computer screen dissapear leaving only the wallpaper. Then the Icons come back and I still havent accessed the controll panel. So I cant remove the programs and even worse I cant even do a system restore. When I booted the computer I sellected the last known good configuration but that didnt fix anything either. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem other than reinstalling windows?

Hmmm... have you tried closing these programs you don't want to use before you try and get to the Control Panel? Ending the Process in Task Manager?

I've tried the above, and it doesnt work. I was just gonna remove Word Perfect office 12 and open office. ALso I was gonna get rid of Itunes and a Fruity Loops demo. I dont think the programs are the problem, its something else. Isnt there another way for me to get to system restore? Cant I go to start, and then run and type something in to get to system restore?

THis sucks if I have to reinstall Windows, Im gonna lose so much stuff that I dont want to.

Hmm how about booting in safe mode and then uninstalling, it could help
As you said, the temporary solution is just to go msconfig and remove the start up items, also you don't necessarily have to go to control panel to remove the programs
Take a look in the program files and you should find a uninstaller, if it doesn't have one, download ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) and there is a uninstaller tool there

Hoioooo

I think U had tons of spywares...

It's not a virus that u r thinking but it's spywares and malwares..

try to install Lavasoft ad-adware, spybot search & distroy..

this will work.. I am not sure How u gone manage to install them.. Bring new solution to install them and as u install them update and run them..

U computer will be as before... smoth and fast.

Im doomed. DL the softwares above and they found problems and fixed them, but it still didnt fix my problem. My computer is running basically fine, Im posting now from my troubled laptop. The real problem is that I can get into the control panel. I started in safe mode, did a system restore to an eariler date and it told me that it couldnt be completed, didnt even give me a reason why. So system restore is out. I cant find my firggin windows xp disc to reinstall it, so there is really nothing that I can do. I think Im gonna just e-mail Dell and see if they can send me another copy of Xp.

I dont think I have Microsoft Antispyware, do you think that would make a difference when SPybot and Lavasoft ad-adware didnt work?

Back
Top Bottom