Pentium D or AMD 64

TreeHugger

In Runtime
I will be buying a new computer, but it has to be from the store because my parents don't trust independant builders.......(who do a better job), well this computer will be for school, gaming and interent (no not graphic design) and i have a choice do i want choice 1 or 2

Choice 1.

pentium D 820 2.8ghz
1gb pc3200 DDR400
250 GB HDD SATA
dvd burner
NVidia 6200 256mb pci-ex

Choice 2.

Amd 64 3200+
1gb pc3200 DDR400
250 GB HDD SATA
dvd burner
Ati 300x SE 128mb pci-ex

I know the amd is the logical choice for gaming, but will there be an advantage with average applications with the pentium D? And is the Pentium D 64 bit, i think its 64ET
? i've that its partial 64 bit and what does that mean.

i would get the amd one because u r going to be gaming and the only thing i would change is get a better graphics card then that will be a good gaming comp and as for regular applications the amd will handle them no problem

See if the 3200+ is Socket 939. If it is, get it. Later on when you have money, upgrade to the new AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ It's about $300 and way better than any crappy Pentium D. You could also save up for a better graphics card.

Over the 3200?! Ah, haha. Generally I don't recommend the 820, or any D other than the 840. But against a 3200? 820 all the way. Crank up the Speed to 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 if you're feeling lucky, and you'll have all the power you'll need. In games, and in what a Computer should do. Over a 3200... haha.

Intel all the way there!

Go for the 64, unless your PC room is a little chilly. :p

The D will be better for multi-tasking, but if that's your bag, get an X2 - they easily beat P D's.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Over the 3200?! Ah, haha. Generally I don't recommend the 820, or any D other than the 840. But against a 3200? 820 all the way. Crank up the Speed to 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 if you're feeling lucky, and you'll have all the power you'll need. In games, and in what a Computer should do. Over a 3200... haha.

Intel all the way there!

sorry bout this lk but right now there are really no games that make use of dual core. even though the video card is better than a x300.a ny of the x series under the 800 is crap.

Dual core won't be widespread for a while
I would stick with single core processors seeing as though they are fine for now
I have Intel P4 but i wouldn't mind trying the AMD Athlon :D

Back
Top Bottom