Computer Parts Query

Abigeus

Beta member
Hey all,

upgrading my computer soon and so i have been looking around for a new mobo cpu and ram. pretty much have decided on geil or corsair ddr2 ram, an asus a8n sli deluxe mobo and a AMD Athlon 64 3000+

i have heard rumours of trouble with the mobo does anyone know anything specific? and i know people who have had trouble in the past with compatibility between geil ram and asus mobo's anyone got any info?

DDR2 RAM doesn't work with AMD processors because of their memory controller. Sorry man, its DDR1 for you. I recommend OCZ actually. They are AWESOME DIMMS! :D

Cheers

Thanks Darkblade,

Actually find that out later the same day i did the post... Whats OCZ havent heard of it hear in Australia... Also after a graphics card powered by the Gf 6600 any hits for a good manufactuer like ASUS?

Thanks Abigeus

Hi. I ordered nearly the same componants as you a couple of days ago and weeks of research for my new rig! I decided not to go for Sli as i heard from many reviews that it's a bit unstable at times...I don't really know how factual that is? Also, just how functional it is, it all sounds overly complicated as it's all relatively new technology. Instead i ordered an Asus A8N-E seen here: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=9591&GroupID=526

I don't know how much cash you have to spend, but getting a different board, which was as good as the same just minus SLi saved me a wad of cash which i put to getting a 3500+ instead of a 3200+ and a 6600GT instead of a 6600 (Gainward GF 6600GT) which is apparently a lot better.

This was all based on the fact that i didn't wholy trust SLi because it's so new and it's also very very expensive and i'd likely never use it.

I don't know if you're in the same position but cutting SLi can save a lot of money if you're not likely to use it.

Afterall, if you get a normal mobo and a 6600GT you only need another 6600GT and a Sli-compatible board if you change your mind when they're cheaper in the future.

THE END

Back
Top Bottom