Two Words

Wiredchild

In Runtime
In the past couple of days i've started internet gaming and been looking extensively at hardware for my new rig...I've come across the words 'ping' and 'RAID'...I kinda know Ping is speed of connection or something, and RAID is harddrive thing. But, what do they actually mean?

RAID stands for Redundant Aray of Indipendant Disks.

You can use 2 identical hard-drives to increase performance nearly two fold. the computer writes alternate peices of data to each hard-drive. so you are taking advantage of both drives at once.

the most common way of using raid is a raid-0 setup. it works as explained above and is also called striping.

as far as i know ping is a method used on the internet to test if a computer is there at a certtain IP address. it works like a submarine ping. you send out a bang (a package of info in this case) and listen for a response. anyways im not entirley sure about the ping thing but raid is as described above.

Yeah, ping is the amount of time that it takes for a data package (think it was 32 bytes) to get to one IP and bounce from there back to your pc.

Back
Top Bottom