Quick Question

Apl

Baseband Member
Is it important for computer programmers to know how to type with 10 fingers?

Because in my opinion when you master the 10 fingers typing you can type real fast. and if you can type real fast you can make a program faster??? I know this seem like a stupid question but then my sister also said that if you're looking for a job in the office you can say you know how to type with 10 fingers in the Resume and you have more chance to get the job XD

Now i'm trying to learn how to, but i can type like 20x faster when looking down on keyboard... and my dumb ring finger and pinky is so hard to control!!!

anyways, i hope to see some opinion, just a Yes or No would do :D

Rofl, not making fun of it, but this is by far the strangest question I've ever seen.

I give up lol.

I like my 10 fingers and my toes as well. It will come in handy to be proficient without staring at your keyboard, but it isn't totally vital. Whatever suites you best.

Learn how to type dude, "Yes". It makes it much more efficent and time worthy even if you "pick and poke" at 100wpm, you see "cout <<" right away with using the 10 finger style... or you could be staring at your keyboard and acidently type "cout <," and completely miss it later. And go "What does it mean 'cout not a declared identifier?".

Why are 10 fingers important? I can type 80wpm using all of about 8 fingers. The two of course not being used is my right hand thumb and my right hand little finger.

What use do those two fingers ever have? Right Hand thumb, anything you could press with that can be pressed by the Left Hand thumb. Right hand little finger is too far across the keyboard generally to press anything.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Why are 10 fingers important? I can type 80wpm using all of about 8 fingers. The two of course not being used is my right hand thumb and my right hand little finger.

What use do those two fingers ever have? Right Hand thumb, anything you could press with that can be pressed by the Left Hand thumb. Right hand little finger is too far across the keyboard generally to press anything.

Oh... I don't know, just the "A" button, not very important at all right? Esspecially when you are adding in the INLINE function... nope not at all.

Hahaha I can understand leaving one of the thumbs, but the pinkys are very important.

The right hand little finger is nowhere near the A :p And personally I use the other finger (that one what doesn't have a name) for the A. The little finger of the Left hand is for the Shift. That's why is aches so much :p Because I am always putting in Capitals when they don't need to be there!

well its been 2 days since i started to practice the ten keys, and now i'm getting the hang of it ^_^

but now i wonder.. who created the keyboard this way and why they put the letters like randomly, wouldn't be alot better if A were where Q is and B where W is etc.. so it would be alot easier to memorize? >.<

After you type for a couple weeks straight you really memorize it very quickly.

If you're that adamant about becoming a proficient typist, just sit down and write some bullshit story, a couple times a day, just to gain some more finger memory.

Apl said:
well its been 2 days since i started to practice the ten keys, and now i'm getting the hang of it ^_^

but now i wonder.. who created the keyboard this way and why they put the letters like randomly, wouldn't be alot better if A were where Q is and B where W is etc.. so it would be alot easier to memorize? >.<
No it wouldn't. Because that is not how you type or thing. If you had that, you would have letters you will use often not in the same sort or area, and you will not be able to use most if not all of your fingers in doing so because of space, and so you would not be able to type fast even if it is easier t remember technically. I find if I think about typing, I can see myself typing and see the buttons in my head with my eyes closed. You don't need to remember them and be able to tell somebody them in order, you merely need to know them in your head, the rest is automatic.

Back
Top Bottom