64-bit Systems. 32 or 64-bit OS's. Driver compatability...What do you all do!?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Hello. I ordered these componants for my new rig today:

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice Core 64 bit 512k L2 Cache

- Asus A8N-E AMD Skt939 nForce 4 Ultra HT 1000FSB PCI-E SATA RAID Giga LAN +8ch.audio ATX

- 200 GB Western Digital Caviar SATA UDMA150 7200rpm 8MB cache

- Gainward GF 6600GT PP Ultra 1960PCX Golden Sample, 128MB DDR PCI-E DVI TV Out

I'm using some PC3200 RAM from this PC. Still, this is largely irrelevant.

What i want to know is what to do about drivers if i fancy running Windows Professional X64? I downloaded the evaluation copy from Microsoft yesterday in case i want to, but, i don't know where to find 64-bit drivers for all my hardware. ...Should i just run normal XP Professional? On that matter, can i do that, as, it's installed on this computer currently? Is the licence per computer, or per person...Because, i don't really have enough money to buy another copy of Windows!!! Has anyone else run X64?

I've noticed loads of you have socket 939 motherboards and 64-bit processors...What do you all do to take advantage of the capabilities.

How much ram are you getting, well i would reccomend you get the normal version buts that only because i havent tried the x64 bit version,

I'm running x64, only problem so far is my digital camera and nostromo speedpad n52. Printers and everything else works fine. Most companies will be coming out with either beta drivers or retail drivers within the next month or two.

well cant it run the normal drivers, and most things like memory sticks it will automatically detect and run surely?

only peripherals have problems. windows wouldn't come out with an os that didn't detect system specs, of course it will
the Xp Pro 32 bit drivers won't work for the most part, you may get lucky with one or two, but none have worked for me, but everything I couldn't run in x64 I've found a driver for like I said, other than the speedpad and the digi cam

I'm getting a gig of RAM Steven12. It's just normal stuff...I'll get some Corsair XMS or something soon.

Well, it should all work fine (fingers crossed). I'm not too bothered about peripherals (throws away NET MD and camera)...It's my graphics card which i'm not too sure about, i can't find a 64-bit driver for it anywhere.

That is a good card right btw??? I had no idea and it sounded good so i bit the bullet!

Is x64 really that good or is it just a waste of time???

I could really do with someone telling me what the rules are on licenses? If it turns out i want to just run windows XP. Can i just use the copy I use for this PC, which is also mine...Or, do i need a new copy??? I don't see why i should have to!?

Microsoft EULA specifically states that you have a single license to use a single copy on one computer and it is not transferable and must be retained to the hardware that it was originally installed on....

this means 1 license per computer and may not be removed and reinstalled on another computer...

that covers most of the licenses except for the full retail version....not OEM...

In the full retail version you may upgrade your computers up to 5 times with the same license but only on the condition that all other computers that had this version was wiped clean.

You shouldn't have to. If it is legal and fine, Microsoft Support should sort you out for allowing it to work on your new computer. It won't work on the old one though. Just ring them up.

As Steven said, x64 is great, and will load all drivers for your normal stuff. Before upgrading, which again will probably not involve a new version, I think you can upgrade without cost, check out their website for information on that, you should of course use the evaluation to see if you like it, and check the websites of you peripherals. Printers most particularly, they are more prone to 64-bit problems. If need be, e-mail them and ask.

Generally, it is a good upgrade. For some setups it is not so good.

"Before upgrading"??? What do you mean Lord Kalthorn?

Can you upgrade X64 to a full version?

I'm just confused as to what OS i should use. Seems i can use this XP Professional copy which is on here, it's an OEM version, does that make any difference???

I can't scrub it from here because my lil bro likes to use it, still...I assume that means i'm not allowed to use it on my new pc. Sorry, but it is really excessive, i don't see why i can't install my copy of XP, which i bought, on 2 of my own pcs *angry face*.

I've only got 180day trial on X64...What the hell do i do after that!?

Does X64 look any different?

Wiredchild said:
"Before upgrading"??? What do you mean Lord Kalthorn?

Can you upgrade X64 to a full version?

I'm just confused as to what OS i should use. Seems i can use this XP Professional copy which is on here, it's an OEM version, does that make any difference???

I can't scrub it from here because my lil bro likes to use it, still...I assume that means i'm not allowed to use it on my new pc. Sorry, but it is really excessive, i don't see why i can't install my copy of XP, which i bought, on 2 of my own pcs *angry face*.

I've only got 180day trial on X64...What the hell do i do after that!?

Does X64 look any different?
I use 'Upgrade' in only its technical sense. For XP to x64, Upgrade means uninstalling XP and installing x64.

Hmmm... my personal recommendation for that then would have to be use the x64 Trial. Keep it on disk, and if you like it, put up with uninstalling it and reinstalling it every 180 days :D It really isn't such a bother, every three months I do it generally, without a good reason, to clean my computer out! If you have two Hard Drives, you'll have no problem at all.

Of course the cleanest idea would be to take them up on their offer, and get a copy of x64 in replacement of your XP Version, and reinstall for good. Then of course, you'd have to find a replacement for the XP Version on you Brother's computer, which could be a downloaded version of Windows 2000? Unless he particularly likes XP.

Back
Top Bottom