At start up it asks me to Select An Operating System...

lukey83

Baseband Member
I used my computer to install WinXP onto a slave drive. I took the slave out (put it back in its own case) and now on the PC that I used as the master, it asks me at startup to select an operating system. Either WinXP Pro or WinXP Pro. I selected the first one, but its says the boot path is not correct, so i restarted and selected the second one. Which booted my C drive. How can I configure it to stop displaying that message and boot staright to my C drive?

Right click "My Computer" "Advanced Tab" "Startup and recovery" button.

Select your default OS you want to boot.
Then uncheck the:
"Time to display list of operating systems"

Apply and ok everything

Just to confirm, thats correct, or otherwise delete the other one from the boot.ini, i dont reccomend this though,

My answers need comformation now? j/k :)

if there is no 2nd OS. and this one he selected is the correct one, you can then delete the other one if it bothers you..

now.. if you select the wrong one, and you reboot you'll get a notice that there is no OS like it said before..

For this case, boot with floopy or another boot cd..
I recommend EBCD
In the root directory c:\ look for boot.ini remove the time selection or add some seconds.

Can't find the boot.ini? cause it's hidden....
type this:
attrib -h boot.ini
attrib -r boot.ini
attrib -s boot.ini.

to edit the file type this:
edit boot.ini

an editor will load up and you can remove the bad one or add the boot timer on again.
save and close,,
then run the three commands to unhide the file but this time dont use the - use + like +h

reboot.

BuzzStPoint said:
Right click "My Computer" "Advanced Tab" "Startup and recovery" button.

Select your default OS you want to boot.
Then uncheck the:
"Time to display list of operating systems"

Apply and ok everything

This worked like a dream. Thanks so much for your help. It was so annoying! Ha ha.

BuzzStPoint said:
if there is no 2nd OS. and this one he selected is the correct one, you can then delete the other one if it bothers you..

When you say "he" are you refering to me? Lmao, coz I'm a she ;)
Lukey = nickname for Luca :p

Back
Top Bottom