wat kinda ram

Jimbo246

Baseband Member
Hi, my friend has an old IBM computer with a amd duron processori in it and only 64 mb ram. I have and old computer which ppl think the motherboard if fryed on it and thats y it doesnt work, and im not goinna buy a new one. SO my question is i had a 128 stick of ram in it and its pc100. Will it work in my friends computer. And im not askin if it will work wel cuz he computer you cant even load it without it completly freezing. Also i put a 64 of the same ram in a different friends computer not knowing if it would work or not and it did jus fine, so wat are the odds of it workin?
thanx

Hmm, it depends what type of motherboard you mate has.

Different motherboards support different speeds, (pc100 is rather old and so also rather slow compared to faster models) and if your mate can support faster ram then the chip will work, but his computer will be slower than if he put higher chip speeds in, but if the computer uses slower ram, the ram won't work at all.

Seems your mate has some kind of faulty ram though, so its at least worth a try.

I hope this helps :)

pc100 and pc133 are interchangeable without too many problems...of which the main issue is ECC and non ECC..which will not work at all with each other...

A lot of old Dells and Compaqs used ECC memory so they could maintain a proprietary hold on the upgrade of memory...

Back
Top Bottom