Power souce!!

mallagant

Baseband Member
Okay, this is an odd one, I put in some new hardware early today (geforce 6800gt and a gig of ram). The computer was running fine and everything, and I decided to run 3dmark03 to check for stability for the new hardware. I got through the first 3 tests with great results, and then right before the mother nature thing the computer just shuts off. I press the power on switch on the front, but nothing at all happens....no beeping or fans running etc. I then unplug the computer and let it sit for a moment, and pretty much decide its the PSU. I take it out, and on a whim just screw it back in to try again. I plug my computer into a different plug, and pow the power source fries itself in a nice display of smoke and stinch. Since, I have no other power source, I decided to ask (for my own sake) if anyone thought that this would ruin other components in my system. I already ordered a new x-connect 500w power source, and I'm hoping that, that will be the only problem. Anyone with any experiance with anything like this?

i havent had an experience like that but it just sounds like ur psu failed and replacing it should fix it

I really hope you're correct, I have to much in my computer to go replacing stuff...more so now since I'm paying for next school semi next week :(

you're other computer components should be fine... the only thing it may have effected was the motherboard which might have effected other things but that is a rare occurance. The same thing happened to me with an old 350 watt generic PSU. I replaced with a 500 W quality PSU and have run error free ever since. Just MAKE SURE the PSU has good railings.

elmonomalo said:
you're other computer components should be fine... the only thing it may have effected was the motherboard which might have effected other things but that is a rare occurance. The same thing happened to me with an old 350 watt generic PSU. I replaced with a 500 W quality PSU and have run error free ever since. Just MAKE SURE the PSU has good railings.

What do you mean by railings? Individual wattage ratings?

btw, the main thing I'm worried about is the new video card...since it has an extra molex connector into the psu

yeah... usually PSU's have railings that are like +5, +12, etc... these railings you want to be as stable and close as possible to the specifications of the PSU.

Your video card should be fine... your setup sounds similar to mine and mine was fine... no fried parts :D

They, the extra Power Pin is probably for other setups, different PSUs, maybe for more power if they need it. It should work fine with the new Power Supply.

Back
Top Bottom