What kind of power supply do I need??

mummer43

Baseband Member
I am thinking of buying a new case and it doesn't come with a power supply. How do I know what kind of power supply I need?

For what it's worth, I have an Asus P4P800S motherboard and a P4, 3.2 GHz processor.

medabomb2000 said:
what else are you going to be running in this tower? (vid cards, ram, aud cards, etc)

Here is what I am running now. I plan on upgrading the hard drive, the video and sound cards and I'd like connections for a few fans.

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON LTR-52327S [CD-ROM drive]

Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800S Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum0)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR PCI II (Encoder-16)
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Standard Game Port

you wouldnt need anything above a 450watt. A 450w would do the trick for that, but if you really wanted to be safe you could get a 475w... I dont think that you would need to get anything more than that. It should work fine.

a key advice, before you buy your psu:

I heard a friend buy an asus motherboard, and it required a certain psu. So just make sure that what ever psu you are going to purchase, is compatible with your mobo.

U could get one with 500W. That way when u want to upgrade again u can still use the same PSU.

medabomb2000 said:
a key advice, before you buy your psu:

I heard a friend buy an asus motherboard, and it required a certain psu. So just make sure that what ever psu you are going to purchase, is compatible with your mobo.

Any clue how I can find that out?? Also, what type? ATX??

Back
Top Bottom