CD drive won't show up after installing win95

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
Here's what I want to do: install windows 95 to a hard drive and then update it to windows 98 (I only have a win98 update disc not a real one). Unfortunately when I actually get win95 installed the cd drive doesn't show up in my computer, therefore I can't install the win 98 update. Do I have to have a driver of the CD drive for win 95 or something, which I don't know why it should need one. Also, it's not just one computer that does it, every computer I try to install win 95 on does this.
Thanks

Try using the Add Hardware wizard in the Control Panel. Chances are, this will find the drive and install default drivers with it, since earlier Windows isn't good at finding drivers for components.

If its a DVD drive for example, this might be why, though running that should make it find a compable standard cd-rom driver to use

i hope this helps :)

Hopefully that will work. I don't know why i didn't think of that before. It should work because it's not a DVD ROM Drive, just a regular CD ROM Drive.

win95...

Win95 has no support for cd drives. Go to the windows site to get generic drivers for it.

i suggest you get your hands on a copy of windows 2000, it's a much better OS than 95 or 98 and in my personal experience, upgrading from 95 to 98 can cause a lot of problems that you really don't want to have to deal with.

actually you don't have to actually have the 95 installed ..The 98 os will automatically ask you for the cd of 95 just to be verified that you are upgrading.

when prompted, just remove the 98 installation disk and insert the 95 and click ok...as soon as it verifies you have a legitamate upgrade source it will prompt you to reinstall the 98 and just go on installing the system.

Back
Top Bottom