Rate my system...

mummer43

Baseband Member
Ok here is what I have. What would you guys do to upgrade it?

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON LTR-52327S [CD-ROM drive]

Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800S Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum0)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR PCI II (Encoder-16)
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Standard Game Port

The Processor and RAM is good.
Is the video card built into the motherboard?

What exactly do you want or do on your system?

I'fd suggest if you do video encoding, or play games to get a new video card for that comp if it is built in :p

I would say a graphics card upgrade would be good. If you are not a gamer then there is no need.

Personally I'd get a new Hard Drive. I had a Maxtor 6Y040L0 and there were a whole bunch of bad sectors on it. Plus 40 Gigs isn't that much.

Kage said:
The Processor and RAM is good.
Is the video card built into the motherboard?

What exactly do you want or do on your system?

I'fd suggest if you do video encoding, or play games to get a new video card for that comp if it is built in :p

As far as I know, the video card isn't built in. There is a red ATI card right above my Wintv card, but I'm not sure what model it is. How do I figure it out?

I don't game or edit video, other than maybe editing a tv show that I record from my TV card.

I basically want a nice system that I can continue to upgrade without having to completely overhaul it or buy an entirely new system.

On my list of upgrades so far is:

120 gig hard drive - how do I know how much cache I should get and what type of interface??

New case for better vetilation(I just ordered a new heatsink and case fans.)

Maybe video/sound cards.

LCD monitor.

One easy way to find out. Right click the desktop and go to Properties, then go to Settings, Advanced at the bottom, and then to Adapter in the tabs.

This should then list your card name.

The fact that yours is red leads me to believe its a Radeon 9800 mdoel, but I might be wrong if other cards have been red (only one i've heard of), and in that case, its fine, and maybe, a bit too good for what you want it to do :p

A sound card might be good for you, especially if you listen to music for example, and it does take load off your CPU.

Kage said:
One easy way to find out. Right click the desktop and go to Properties, then go to Settings, Advanced at the bottom, and then to Adapter in the tabs.

This should then list your card name.

The fact that yours is red leads me to believe its a Radeon 9800 mdoel, but I might be wrong if other cards have been red (only one i've heard of), and in that case, its fine, and maybe, a bit too good for what you want it to do :p

A sound card might be good for you, especially if you listen to music for example, and it does take load off your CPU.

It says RADEON 7000. Is that any good?

Back
Top Bottom