3 things i'd like to know.

Wiredchild

In Runtime
1. Need motherboard that clearly states it supports it. The memory slots will usually be color coded. You would put your memory sticks (should be the same make and model) in slot 1 & 3, then if you have more, put them in slot 2 & 4. They will act as individual 512mb/1g sticks in separated slots.

2 ... you'll need to compare them ... the sli has some firewire ports while the other apparently has a max fsb of 2000 mhz. IS that a typo?

3. ATA -133 is for IDE hard drive/cd-dvd drives. SATA (II) is a different connection type and the II is the latest for SATA. ATA 133 is the transfer rate and SATA transfers at 150 ... I think the SATA II transfers at 300.

go with PC 3200/DDR 400. I haven't really heard either way with OCZ Ram ... good or bad. I've always had good luck with Crucial ... but they do tend to be the more expensive of the brands. Just make sure you get 2 sticks of the same brand and model. Mixing them, ... dont think that works too good in dual channel.

This is very good reading if you are interested in transfer rates of hard drives, more specifically, the SATA II. Transfer rates reach pretty high with SATA II and up to 3GB/s, (must be able to at least for now) but we can only achieve like 300 MB/s. Big difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2450

If you choose a hard drive, make sure you get SATA II. It is still faster than the ATA133.

Thanks TRDCorolla. Understand SATA perfectly now. Seems it's definately worth going for over the old IDE!

Just another thing while i'm here. Why is the price difference between a 64-bit AMD Athlon and the 32-bit Athlon XP's of the same performance so minimal?

Also...I have a copy of Windows XP Professional and a copy of Windows X64. Does Windows XP Prof support 64-bit CPU's? I know it doesn't take advantage of the 64-bit capabilities, but can you use them with it anyway???

I'm just worried because everyone in magazines and everything makes X64 out to be crap and has no driver support?

I got a question dual channel Lets say you got thsi diagram infront of you
Channel 1 Channel 2
SS S S
L L L L
OO O O
TT T T
12 3 4

And you had two 512 sticks with teh CL of 2.5-6-3-3 you'd put one stick in slot 1, the other in slot 3? or would you put one stick in slot 1, and one is selot 2?

the color codes on the motherboard you're looking may be blue/black - blue/black. Put a stick of 512mb in the blue slots ... 1 & 3. That's why they're colored coded. :) Blue-Blue (1 & 3) Black-Black (2 & 4)

yeah and when you turn your comp on and get into the bios make sure the option is turned on...mine wasn't bigg pain.

Back
Top Bottom