Broken X-Box

Kage

Golden Master
Hey everyone,

Got a free x-box from a mate the other day, but theres a catch...it doesn't work.

I was hoping I could figure out the problem, and looked on the internet on how to open it up, and I need a Torx driver, and can't get hold of one yet, though will just to see whats up.

But this thing has been thrown around and all sorts. I'm surprised it still powers up.

This is what it does though, and i've checked for error kernals on the internet, and this one isn't listed...if i could see it properly:

WHAT IT DOES:

It powers up (green eject light), fans come on and disc starts spinning.

Next, the xbox logo starts to appear (sound still works slightly) (the 3d bootup bios) and that judders and messes up. You can hardly make it out. Its just a load of 3d objects and the screen breaks up so much you can't make it out hardly, like boxes and splits.

The X-box eject light then goes red/green flashing, and checking the Internet, this means a bad chip or bad bios (I suggest the video chip, but i guess it could be loads more) :(
The error code then comes up, and the screen is litterally split diagnally so you can't make out the full error code, but its something like 112, or 116 (Whats worse, each time you power it up, it seems to be something different), and not even listed in the code book.

I'll open it up, but I think its damaged beyond repair, and it won't be worth taking to be fixed (no guarantee) since I could buy a new one for the price, but just wanted to see if it would be repairable, but no, I don't think so, not without a full service.

Its worth a try opening it I guess though...just got to look out for those big capacitors that are fully charged... :p
Oh well... I'm definietly not buying a new one...just wait for a new console to appear I think :( Would have been nice if it was something simple like a new hard drive or something, because I didn't know what it did until I powered it up.

Well the problem seems to be in the video card. But if u can't get it to work atleast you have an electronic device that u can smash to the wall when ur angry. It always help, but I just can't do it too often coz then all of my electronic thingys would be broken. (and just in case someone wants to try this, use ur cell phone, they don't brake easily. [atleast my nokia has got a few bounces of the wall and still works almost perfecly])

Yeah, it seems pretty stuffed :(

I'm going to open it anyway, see if i can find anything like a simple broken connection, just something like that :p

Because, seeing some graphics (like the green blob exploding...slightly) shows the graphics chip is working.... sort of, though if it can't even display the error screen in 2d without messing up, I guess it has no hope... hehe...

Thanks anyway.

If anyone has a graphics chip for it they could give me, that would be appreciated... or maybe a free motherboard with all the working parts? :p

hey, if i had an xbox i would give you the part, the problem is that i dont have an xbox,lol

Well, I went down this road about a month ago. The xbox I got was doing the same thing but no display on the screen. The flashing lights are called the "x-mas lights" lol. They mean a lot of bad things, such as a faulty bios, broken traces, broken hardware. If it's a broken trace, there's a website that teaches you how to fix it. And there is also an amazing website that teaches you how to open the xbox. It's really easy as a matter of fact, I took mine apart to the most peices possible, lol.
Microsoft can fix your xbox for 120 bucks. They charge one flat rate and will fix any problem and refurbish the xbox.

Thanks Steven12 :p Thats appreciated very much, though shame you dont have one...

I would honestly consider this as something to get, though cheaply... But I don't think anyone'll do that :p hehe

Haha, lesson learned. Never mod an Xbox :) I never modded my Xbox. I just get the newest games by trading in my old games that I beat.

Back
Top Bottom