Is it possible?

draconum

Daemon Poster
Is it possible to install Windows XP on a USB Memory stick and then everytime you turn on the computer it would act like a security feature where you have to plug that in for Windows to load.
So is this possible or should I just stick with my Hardcore Password.

Chris

would have to make sure your motherboard bios supports booting from USB. There are some out there ... I dont know which ones, or the function term to look for that means it supports booting from USB. Then you would need to have a large enough USB memory stick ... there are some 4 gb units ... newegg has a 2 gb stick, but I dont think that would be large enough.

no, not unless its massive, although there is a program that you cant logon without a memory stick that has been setup with it. i tried it, its pretty rubbish, i used to be able to make windows 98 boot after i put a password, i cant remember how..lol

just go with the password. Or u could by a fancy fingerprint lock so no one else could start ur pc. :D

no one here believes me that some motherboards support it? that makes me sad. :(

I'll investigate further ... but fyi ... I troubleshooted a machine recently that wasn't booting up properly because an external USB drive was plugged in and the motherboard was trying to boot from it. Unplugged the external drive and the computer booted up fine. Im fairly confident if the external drive had XP on it ... it would have booted from the external.

daemon said:
just go with the password. Or u could by a fancy fingerprint lock so no one else could start ur pc. :D

yeah I've thought about that, I just can't find any for a reasonable price.

chris

yes my motherboard does have the boot from usb option so..it's an intel d915pgn it a sucky board but it does have that option.

I was thinking the same I saw a few 4 GB sticks with a read/write of 480 MB per second I was like if that was like cache that'd put that USB way faster then my HD so I could get one load a game on it and it'd play ab it faster. Never tried but I know you can create a boot from USB thingy if your mobo supports it check out the manfutuers site.

Back
Top Bottom