About RAM

mammikoura

Golden Master
I know that it's better to have 2x512 than to have just one stick thats 1024 mb. But how big is the difference, I am buying new RAM soon and I was thinking of buying one stick (1024mb) because in the future when I want to have 4gb (that's going to be a year of 2 from now) I don't need to toss away the ones that I will buy now. But I was wondering that will 400mhz RAM be too slow to play games with in a year or 2. So what do u suggest, should I buy 2x512 or 1 stick that has 1GB?

If you have 1gb, that is already plenty and more than enough to play the games that are out today such as Half Life, CS:S and WoW. If you have 1gb of ram, then you may not have to update for a year or 2, the games next year will have roughly about the same requirements, there won't be much difference unless there is like a breakthrough of some sort

I would split, and get two 512mb chips.

The reason is I think, that if theres only one chip with that amount, teh bus has to carry all the data back and forth, but if the chips split, and theres 2 sections, teh buses of data is broken up into two roads as it were, and this probably makes it slightly faster to get all the data out, so I'd definietly go with 2.

If your motherboard supports Dual Channel, you'll get even more of a boost, if you get dual channel RAM that usually comes in packs of two.

I hope this helps :)

Okay so I'll prolly go with Kingston HyperX 1GB Kit DDR 400MHz PC3200 CL2 (2-3-2-6), 2 x 512MB. Ty for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom