My Simple Problem

DJ Stephen

Fully Optimized
I now have internet in my room, which is why i am here now. Anyway i konw its rubbish but i only get 8 hours per day allowed by wanadoo. I have a belkin wireless router which is also a asdl modem and i would like to know if when i am not active if my internet connection is being used?
Will i have to upgrade?

Thanks

Steve

If your computer is on and setting idle while connected to the net then I would say that yes your service is being used simply because even while idle there is background programs sending and recieving information across the connection ..especially updating programs and the likes. also there are whois packets being sent(pinging) your computer and being told that you are active and the likes...
Now if you are not logged into your DSL modem then it is not being used.Or shouldn't be anyway. Your router shouldn't have anything to do with it at all as it is after the modem conection..

If you stayed logged in to your DSL modem then you are useing the service whether you are using the net or not.

i don't know you could just right click on your connection and hit disconnect. That should do it.

yeh but i use it on my laptop, so will i have to enter the host comuter each time or the router configuration?

Steven,

The router for the computer maybe in the same cabinet as the modem but it is actually connected after the modem connection ...irregardless of it being a wireless connection or hardwired...

The service must come through the modem then the router then to the various computers that are connected....you have to log out of the modem to stop the service.

Control panel -> network connections (or something like that) and from there u can disable the connection.

You should be able to turn it off on the taskbar right next to the clock
It should appear as two blinking computers, which represent the packets of data being sent or recieved
But if you go to networks connections like Daemon said, then you can right click and go disable, you can do this with the blinking computers as well mentioned earlier

connections3no.jpg

Back
Top Bottom