Intel CPU question.

swanysto

Beta member
Ok guys I have been building AMD rigs since I started mainly because of price. But now that Intel and AMD are somewhat on the same page I would like to give Intel a try. So first things first I have budget of 300-350 dollars. This is for a MB and CPU. Since I know absolutely nothing about Intel boards or their variety of CPU's I seek prof. help here.

Just in case anyone is wondering what it is for, I do programming and Video work. Sometimes I game but it is graphic unintensive stuff like cs 1.6 etc. I would like it to be very good at multitasking cause i like to do everything at the same time.(It is the A.D.D. in me)

This is what I had in mind for my MB and ram, keep in mind the ram is not included in the 300-350. That pice is for just the CPU and MB.

RAM Crucial Ballistic DDR2 667
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161403

Asus P5LD2-VM 945G P4 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 M-ATX Motherboard
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247006&affiliate=pricegrabber
110 shipped.

These are the CPU's that would be left over in my budget.

Intel Pentium® D Processor 820 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2x1MB Cache, Dual Core Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80830&affiliate=pricegrabber

Intel Pentium® 4 630 Processor Prescott 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB Cache Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80826&affiliate=pricegrabber

Intel Pentium® 4 540J Processor Prescott 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 1MB Cache Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80806-1&affiliate=pricegrabber

What I am looking for:
1. Advice on which CPU you would choose.
2. Advice on the setup I have planned as far as MB and RAM. (Keep budget in mind)
3. Any possible suggestions you have on a good alternative.

What I am not Looking for :
AMD posters, I have been there done that and nothing against them, just want Intel for once.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

go with the pentium D series 820 dual as it is about the only D that will fit your budget...

Intel lists its entry-level Pentium D 820 at $241, the 830 at $316 and the 840 at $530.

While I am not a paticular fan of intels It was compared to the new amd version leading me to believe that amd had to compare itself to about the best of intel to get a good favoring and while amd surpassed the 820 it did so only because it had to shut down the HT of the intel chip which I thought was kind of rediculous.... anyway once the HT was connected back the Intel won the course in over all computing .

I might hold off for just a bit on doing anything with the whole set-up myself for about 6 months. as there is about to be a giant leap in memory modules

Elpida to begin volume production of 4 GByte FB-DIMMs in Q4 By Wolfgang Gruener, Senior Editor August 2, 2005 - 12:52 EST Tokyo - Elpida today announced that it will begin mass-production of Fully Buffered Dual In-Line Memory Modules in the fourth quarter of this year, providing enough supply for Intel's next-generation dual-core workstation and server platforms scheduled to launch in Q1 of 2006.

full story:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050802_125239.html

And that may tend to make you want to wait just a bit for newer motherboard designs also....

Granted that this new memory type is designed more for servers than workstations...this suggests to me that it will lead a new revolution in the motherboard manufacturing just so as to keep pace with thw dual core proccessing that is going to lead into the next few years to come.

well unfortunately that is why I am on budget is because I kept waiting and waiting for newer technology to come. Unfortunetely other stuff pops up and the save money seems to lessen very quickly. So I think I just need to do this now.

So to sum it up you would take the dual core over the other 2 suggested?

Do the MB and RAM look sufficient?

Thanks
Jonathan

512 mb of memory is normally suficient for most computers...but you really can't use that as a determination as it is more about how much available ram you have compared to just how much ram you have installed..

Since all programs use memory and retain it for speedier proccessing, it becomes necessary to look at what programs are installed and how much ram they require to operate....The rule of thumb is that anytime you get to 100mb or less available ram you need to install more or lose some programs..

you can check out your available ram by :

start > programs > accessaries > system tools >
system information. scroll down and you will see installed ram and available ram

***please note** sometimes tweaks and such will turn off this tool and only a third party program will tell you what is available..

Depends what you use it for. Do you multitask alot? Do you just game and surf the internet?

AMD just released the Athlon 64 X2 3800+. It's designed to be a cheap and affordable dual-core with the benefits of AMD's fantastic dual-core designs. If I'm not mistaken it costs around $3xx. It's basically 2x Athlon 64 3200+ with 512k cache for each core and it runs at 2.0 GHZ.

I would personally say the 540J. You don't get the Dual Core, you don't get the 2Meg Cache, but the Dual Core on a 820 is not worth it, because it hasn't got HT, and it is a bit low in the speed specs. 630 would be the only competitor, but unless you like Games, the Cache isn't that important and the 540J is faster and the same price.

Go with the 630 I just build a system using that same CPU also on a ASUS mobo using dual mode. Runs great in multitask and not only that temp on the 630 are great for being a Prescott idle at 29 c.

Dude... do you know how old this thread is... I think he knows what to go with... yeha... appreciate your help but let the old thread's r.i.p.

Haha, the problem is that the date where it says when you last posted is so dark that most people don't see it.

Back
Top Bottom