Sql, ?

jcon891

Daemon Poster
hi i have been recently interested in learning SQL, but i want to know what it does exactly. anyone have anything that was made w/ SQL so i can see an example? what can i make w/ SQL?

it's difficult to shoe examples of stuff made in SQL because it's more backend than front end.

basically it allows you to intelligently select data from a database...

it's one of those things that's easy to get the basics of but powerful when you do advanced stuff...

IMHO the best way to learn it would be through making an application, but to do that you'd have to learn another language as well as the SQL you needed to use.

If you're going to do any serious database work you HAVE TO know SQL (it stands for Structured Query Language). It has a few forms, but they're basically all the same fundamentally.

Here's a sample SQL statement:

Code:
SELECT * FROM Table_Stuff WHERE Name = "Ed Womack"

This will select all rows of the database from a table called "Table_Stuff" where the column named "Name" has "Ed Womack" as a value. If the database table has 10 rows where "Name" is "Ed Womack" this SQL statement will return 10 rows.

If you know databases, SQL will come very easily. You can write SQL in MS Access, mySQL, or any database engine. You can learn it quickly by googling "SQL Tutorial".

Back
Top Bottom