External Hard drive

matt_999

BSOD
Hey, i have an external hard drive (maxtor) which i have put into a case, Windows says it has installed it but it does not show up in my computer, but it says that it is working properly? any ideas? im running windows xp home Sp2

Thanking you in advance,
Regards
Matt

is the drive formatted? check in computer management

right-click My Computer>>manage>>disk management

It could still be there and not be formatted. And if this is the case, it wont be listed at all in My Computer as one of your hard drive choices. If the color bar above the disk is black, then it's not formatted and needs to be. Right click it and choose format and follow the steps. Good luck

it has a black bar across it; it is listed under disk 2; it is unallocated and it says "not initialized" when i right click it all i get is properties and help new partion is greyed out. Format is not on the list. i hope this info can help you to help me!

regards
matt

Click on the small section that says "Unknown" or "Not Initialized".
Right click and select "Initialize Disk" then right click on the right portion of the next window and select "New Partition" to start the New Partition Wizard.

Select "Primary Partition" and continue with the wizard.

i have just sorted it out. i just needed to right click the square to initalize it, then create a new partition.

thankyou so much though crosscech! i wudnt of know where top start else!

cheers

regards
Matt

glad you got it figured out. That's what we're here for ... to lend a hand and help each other along the way

Back
Top Bottom