formatting hdd with startup disk

jnthn205

Baseband Member
Ok so i just made a windows xp startup disk. I am going to use this to format my hdd, because when building this computer, an extra partition was made on accident and now the computer thinks the 5gb partition is my main hdd, so it copys all the files onto that, so i need to format my hdd. The question i want to know, is after i restart my computer with the start up disk in. What do i do from there to format the hdd?

You can't reformat your drive with a windows xp start up diskette or diskette set. They are there only for the boot records.

You can use an original micrsoft xp installation disc to do the job for you.

You can get a utillity disc from the HDD manugacturer's website that will format for you.

you can use a windows 98 or 98SE or ME version boot diskette

I recommend that you use the windows xp installation disc to remove any and all partitions and then to reset what partition sizes you want and then to make the 1st partition active and format it only. After the reinstallation of the operating system you should use windows disc manager to partition and format the rest of the drive if need be.

boot up system and during post toggle the DEL key or what other key your system uses to enter set-up.
In set-up look for the boot sequence line and select it and change the order to boot from CD first...Now install The original microsoft xp installation disc and press the F10 key which will auto save the selection and reboot....
Follow prompts closley ....at post will ask to boot from cd then to hit any key to boot from cd...do that as soon as it comes up...
Anothe prompt will show to use F6 key to install any 3rd party drivers...if you are a sata or raid hdd then you must install the drivers now.
The prompts will then ask to agree to EULA by pressing F8 you must do...
then it woill ask to install the xp or repair...choose install.. it will search and locate your hdd and any partitions you will want to REMOVE all partitions first so read vey carefully what to do...after all partitions are removed you want to set up a partition in the drive and you will be prompted to how big of a partition that you will want.....I recommend nothing smaller than 20 gigs and nothing bigger than 40 gigs depending on the size of your HDD. you then want to choose to install xp to that partition and it will format it for you and start set up.....during this time the computer will need to reboot a couple of times and during each boot you will again be asked to press any key >>>>>do not do this just let it boot by itself and set up will continue.....if during the install and a problem arises then be sure to note the exact error it is reporting and post it and someone will direct you on how to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom