hello and question

well It doesn't go through my house so I'm not in control of it. If I had the choice I'd just get it settled and pay my monthly fee

Ist) The act of stealing cable services is a class A misdemeaner which is in most cases just under being a felony and susceptable to both a year in jail and up to 5000 dollar fine in most jurisdictions within the US
2nd) Unless you can prove that it was part of the rental agreement then as the recipient of the service then it would fall on your shoulders.
3rd) while your cable tv and internet is transmitted by a single line it is extremely filtered and unless you have the filter I doubt that you would be able to get the service and if at all possible I would hate to have to try to use the internet with a tv interference conflicting with every thing.

4th) and maybe this should have been 1st ....

welcome to the forums and I hope your stay is enjoyable to keep you coming back

Welcome. I strongly suggest that you contact the cable company and find out why its coming for free.

JohnD194 said:
Hi, just signed up so whats up around here?

Anyway, I have a question that I hope to get answered. I'm going to be moving to a house that I have been told by our neibors, gets free cable tv. We don't know why, some fluke thing.

Anyway, I could almost care less about the tv, what I want it cable internet.

now, they of course don't want me to contact the cable company in anyway cause they will probably loose it.

I have heard that there is a chance If I plug my modem into the cable I may get the internet what are the chances of this?? I have also heard that because when you are on the internet and you send data back, they may find out, is this true?
someone give me some info :D
Any way you slice or dice it, it's theft of service and it gets pretty serious. It could be the previous tenant was stealing the service and trust me you don't want to get caught up in that. Having worked for a cable outfit here in Georgia I can tell you first hand they get very PO'ed about cable jackers. It appears one of the neibours has gotten in to the tap at the street and hooked every one up for free. Be the hero to the cable company (or the villian to your neibours) and just tell the cable company the service was on when you moved in and you want to see about getting the service in your name. Oh yeah to cover your butt, have something handy that shows WHEN you moved in to the house.

setishock said:
Any way you slice or dice it, it's theft of service and it gets pretty serious. It could be the previous tenant was stealing the service and trust me you don't want to get caught up in that. Having worked for a cable outfit here in Georgia I can tell you first hand they get very PO'ed about cable jackers. It appears one of the neibours has gotten in to the tap at the street and hooked every one up for free. Be the hero to the cable company (or the villian to your neibours) and just tell the cable company the service was on when you moved in and you want to see about getting the service in your name. Oh yeah to cover your butt, have something handy that shows WHEN you moved in to the house.
ok. I was also looking into maybe getting satellite internet and leaving the whole thing alone but Its really expensive :(

Back
Top Bottom