Wireless Network Card Range Problem

Herman

Beta member
Hello,

I'm trying to set up an 802.11g wireless network for a friend who wants to use his laptop around his house.

The router is a D-Link AirPlus G DI-524.

His laptop is a Compaq Armada which runs Windows ME. I bought a Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Notebook Network Card for it.

It worked normally when his laptop was within the same room, and it didn't work at all from rooms that are considerably less than 50 feet away. I then tried out my Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows XP from all of those rooms, and it worked normally with its own built in network card (an Atheros AR5004G). I then tried the Belkin card in my own laptop, and it didn't work any better than it did in his laptop.

At that point, I decided to exchange the Belkin network card for a D-Link DWL-G630, and it's having exactly the same problem in both laptops, only it works in one more room than the Belkin did.

Does anyone have a recommendation of how to get my friend's laptop connected to the wireless network that doesn't involve trying every network card in the store on the off chance that I'll eventually find one that works?

Thanks,

it sometimes depends what his house is made of. like it he has brick or concrete walls it is not going to work too well. maybe something in the house is inter fearing with the wireless signal any ways good luck.

get "netstumbler" its a free program popular with wardrivers, it displays a realtime graph of the signal strength of your wireless access point, you can use this graph to walk around your house to find weak spots. It is also good for pointing antennas for maximum signal etc.

if the router does not have an external antenna, you might want to get one. look on ebay, you can get one for about 15 bucks

Back
Top Bottom