Thermal paste or pad?

Quantum Flux

In Runtime
Im making an amd x2 sys and amd website reckons thermal pads should be used on the hsf, not paste. i allways thought artic silver was better.

comments?

thats what im gonna be using to oc my system (arctic silver). everyone recommended that to me.

o and thanx for reminding me. i forgot to add that to my shopping cart :p

Well, they recommend both. In one case, they say you should use the pad just because it's stupid-proof. Apply pad, install. In another, they say paste because it has superior heat transfer capability (which it does). It just depends on if you're comfortable with scraping off the pad and cleaning it and applying the paste properly. Go here for nice instructions straight from Arctic Silver's website:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

i was using the thermal pad for a while when i built my system, but i found the cpu's temp was very hot. so i scraped that $h!t off (yes scraped.. it melts between the processor and heatsink) and put in a basic thermal compound (not even artic silver) and the processor dropped about 10 degrees in temp, when fully loaded even more.
i trust if i appplied artic silver id see even more of a drop, my advice... paste not pad! just get the right amount!!!

that is usually true jay...The isue is that it (paste) sets faster than a pad (tape) type does.. It usually takes up to a 2 week period to actually set the paste so as to benefit from the thermal transfer of heat from the chip. Paste just appliesa little thinner so doesn't take as long.

Also one must remember that in both cases it that a kittle bit is all that is needed. And overdoing it can cause higher heat readings.

I think that if it comes with the hsf, quality is very close, so , if you want better quality you can get some artic or similar...

lhuser said:
I would only use a Thermal paste when you have a Thermaltake CPU tower

... why is that?

and i have a question, when i get my processor brand new, i wont have to scrape anything off the back will I? will it come w/ a thermal pad alread ON the processor?

Back
Top Bottom