Ranks

Seriously.... if you're a guru in this forum, then you almost certainly have a good deal of computer knowledge. THIS IS A COMPUTER FORUM!! Why would a person who knows very little about computers sit in a forum all day with tons of people who talk mostly about computers?

I understand that it is POSSIBLE for a guru to not know much about computers, but in this forum, it is highly UNLIKELY, and that is the point I'm trying to make.

Well ... spank fusion has a point
Gurus do have high knowledge of computers and they help out alot
I don't think that i've seen anybody who got guru but knew only the average computer knowledge ...

Yeah, a revision of the ranks would be a bit better since this forums has grown alot.

The other computer related website I am a longtime member (7 years) of, does not have a post count or show what rank you have, there's no smiles either... It works well for them. :p

dyserq said:
Well ... spank fusion has a point
Gurus do have high knowledge of computers and they help out alot
I don't think that i've seen anybody who got guru but knew only the average computer knowledge ...

Well thank you for the nice compliment. Indeed I am a Guru, but by no means a computer genius. I soak in as much info as the rest of you and try to keep up with computing trends. It's the best way to learn. It's also good learning by doing it yourself too.

As far as rank goes, I like the idea of raising the bar on ranks. Increase the amount of posts to meet Guru, just to make it interesting. Imagine a forum full of Gurus. What fun will that be?

I'm sure most of us know more then the avg computer user. The avg copmuter user buys a prebuilt system. We build our own. The poeple who have alone built thier own know more then the avg joe.

To be honest, being a guru is something that I take pride in. I, though trying to stay humble, know computers to quite an extent. I read comp mags, go to comp seminars, etc. I learn and I pass it on. A guru is a mark. You know comps, better than average, and you can operate one well. I have been here a while, as you can see, and have came a long way. lol.... but of course, as for ranks... I think raising the bar is fine, but David prolly won't budge... itis his forum, after, and there's nothing that we can do about it...

Wombat said:
The other computer related website I am a longtime member (7 years) of, does not have a post count or show what rank you have, there's no smiles either... It works well for them. :p

Well for me, the post counts and the ranks are just a daily reminder of how long I've been a member of such a great forum :)

Back
Top Bottom