To Build, or not to Build...that is...the...ohwell

Grandiosevision

Solid State Member
Here's tha scoop. I'm no techy that's for sure but I've done a bit of my own computer work and I'm certainly not afraid of it. I am getting ready to buy a new computer when by brother-in-law says "just build your own. It's plug n play. Besides you can get way better specs for a lower price!" So, I decide to try it...after all, he really knows his stuff with pc's. Then someone else comes along and says "are you Kidding me. Why do that when you can buy a new one for $499.00. Everyone of my friends who have done this have had theirs crash and end up spending far more in repairs than the computers even worth! What are you going to do without a system recovery when the thing blitz's on you?"
O.k. now I'm confused. Do I do it.....don't I???? What do you think?
And, what about that easy recovery problem? I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do if I came down with the BSOD!!!!

It's all a matter of personal preference. If you don't have the time to build one, a ready made system is a good option. Complete systems these days are super low and comes with recovery CDs that refresh the entire hard drive to the first day it was working.

If you have the expertise to build a PC, you can customize to your needs. Building top of the line PC is best if you build your own because you will see a significant price difference between your custom build than what a complete high end system (retail) will cost. Building your own PC also allows you the peace of mind that everything is compatible with each other and not proprietary like some computer manufacturers. Changing parts out is a piece of cake.

its really not that hard building one...i built my first a couple of months ago...my first computer i can call my own...well...i had a old old gateway b4 that...but thats a differant thread. if you know what your doin/can get someone that does (your bro in law?) it shouldn't be a problem. i would...well...i did and if age matters im 15 :D

Truely a perplexing question..

I will always suggest that a person try to build thier own. This is usually quite a substantial savings if they are looking for top end equipment. If not then it will tend to be a lot costlier than purchasing off the shelf so to speak.

The pros are that you will become more comfortable with what a computer is and how it works and this is something to not take lightly as more and more things are being done with computers...work/play and so on.

The recovery discs that are used are nothing but a copy of all the installation discs that you would normally have but installed on a single disc and scripted so as to be easy for the "I just don't want to know how types"

there are programs that you can learn in a short time as to how they work and then you can actually build your own just for your machine that you built..

the difference is that when they use one from a computer that was bought 2 years ago...they have issues with old drivers and the likes and these must be updated...while someone else will always be able to just install the updated drivers or keep creating a restore disc with all the built in service packs and up dated driver files as needed...

Just depends on how much you really want to spend and how far you are willing to go to learn..

Sometimes it is just not for everyone....

but to have bragging rights about building and then proving your skills to your friends is priceless.

Yeah, it all depends. You should definitely have a bit of hardware knowledge and experience. It will come in handy for those times when a problem occurs. In the case of the people who built their own computer that advised you against building, I'm guessing that the problem was something that could have been easily fixed. It's a matter of knowing what you're doing and feeling comfortable with knowing that your computer will need a bit more effort to keep running properly.

One of the biggest pros of custom building is upgradeability. If you choose the right parts, you could be set for at least a decade by buying a new processor here, an extra hard drive there, and keeping most of your old parts. Eventually, you will have to spend some extra bucks to do a more massive upgrade (like the motherboard), but it all depends on how well you choose your parts when building.

Another major benefit is the cost. In many cases, the cost of an average prebuilt computer is comparable to the cost of an average custom computer, but the parts you use will almost definitely be of a higher quality. If you want to build a super cheap computer, it would probably be better to get a cheapo prebuilt. Once you get up into the midrange, however, custom building becomes a much better option. This curve continues into the high range of computers where supercomputing monsters off the shelf will cost you your house and car, but to build one yourself would be far cheaper. Not to mention the quality of parts mentioned earlier.

Custom building is not for everyone, but I like the idea of knowing exactly what I have and what I want and what I'll need in the future. Plus, it's a great experience to put it all together and press the power button for the first time. And if anything DOES go wrong, you can just ask us!

Hmm i agree that it all depends on your decision
Many people in fact get turned off from building their computer because they think its time wasting and you could be leading yourself bankrupt if something goes wrong, or everything for that matter :D
I would go custom building but i'm abit too young and still need to learn some hardware knowledge
If you going to get one of those top end pcs which are mainly gaming ones, then i would definately go custom building, you'll get it for a cheaper price, although this also applies to cheaper computers, there is a smaller saving, so if its expensive go custom building but if its cheaper than i would just buy it premade, only a few bucks to have it all done and made so that you won't have to use your time to do it yourself ;)
You'll also know how the computer will perform as well because you chose the custom parts yourself and you'll have sorted out the compatibility glitches that some manufacturers do, which i hate because then you have to buy parts which you originally should've paid for
Overall, custom building a pc gets a thumbs up from me :D

Building

Thanks a lot guys. You have been a tremendous help. I feel much more comfortable with the idea of building for myself now. Spank_Fusion I also appreciate the offer that if something goes wrong I can just come in and ask. That's a good point.

My computer's life span to be a good one is about hrm i'll say a year to a year and half. In a year to a year and half. I could toss in a extra dual channel kit and have 2 GBs of ram. Get a geforce 7800 and be WAY better off then having to buy a top of the line gaming machine spending 3k. I was terrified of my first build. but I found that it was quite easy. Google is a amazing thing (make sure you have access to the internet doing your build) very helpful. And build your own. Don't be like many poeple I know who go heh i'll go dell or HP (HP is alright) and ten 6 months later be bitching why your machine isn't working. Not only that if somthing fails on my computer chances are i'll be able to troubleshoot what it is fairly easyly. Why? Cause I know what the hell is in it and how it go in there. And even upgrading a mobo is a small upgrade. I've been really thinking of getting a better mobo my self. One wiht more bells and whistles. Total upgrade cost, about 50 bucks (after I sell my old mobo) not only that the reason you pay more for prebuilt is your paying labor costs.

Back
Top Bottom