Adaware and accounts?

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hi

I have 2 accounts on my computer: an adminestrator account for me and a guest account for my sister.

I have Ad-Aware Se Personnel and i run a scan pratically once every day on my acount. Today i went on my sis's guest account and decided to run a scan and it came up wiht 22 critical objects. I left it (didnt delete or quarintine them) and ran the scan on my account and it only came up with 1 new critical object.

My sis has never run a scan since we got the pc but i thought since i am the administrator that when i ran the scan in my account it would scan the whole computer and not miss her account? or do i have to scan it for every account?

Thanx

Hmm i've been wondering the same thing
Because on another computer which is my sisters, i only ever run scans on another account
Hmm, does your administrator account have a password on it or is it just freely accessible?
I think that you still have to run scans on both accounts though because they both have different documents and everything ...

my administrator account is passwrod protected....and also i thought ad-aware or any other scan just went through the whole system...and does this mena i would also have to run seperate scans with my virus scanner (trend micro)

Hmm i think that the primary reason is the fact that both accounts don't share the same documents
It will scan the program files and system root files for both accounts but will not scan cookies for your other account because it is her documents and she may need it, etc, so ad aware would ignore all the results found on that account
I'm not sure if it'll work the same with trench micro though because i don't use it

Hmm i use AVG and from what i see, no virus ever hides itself in the documents folder
But i would say that it is different with virus scanners because they don't scan like cookies or anything as low threat as that so i would say no
I'm not certain though so you'll need someone else to confirm it, or contradict it for that matter ;) :D

When you set up different accounts in windows, you are actually setting up a type of virtual partition.
Certain things (such as the root operating files) will transcend the partition but that is about it unless a profile of acccount admin specificaly allows a new program to be used in all profiles.
If not then the program will only be seen/used within the account that set it up.

Most spyware/malware tools can be set to scan all profiles....same as with A V programs.

If a program was installed prior to the creation of the new profile then it will not cross the barrier and it will not or can not scan the new profiles.

Back
Top Bottom