problems installing a video card

jnthn205

Baseband Member
Ok so my friend bought a Geforce FX 5700LE, and he wanted me to install it becasue i knew how. Well I hooked it into the slot, and put the drivers cd in. It started up fine, and i installed the display drivers first. Everything was going good, it told me to restart the computer so I did. When the computer started back up, well...it wouldnt. It just sat at a blank screen, but I could hear that the computer was processing, so we waited for like 5 minutes. Still nothing. I decided to shut it down, take the video card out and plugi the monitor back into the mobo. It then came up with an error that said a certain file has been damanged, and it would take the windows startup cd to fix it. So we put that in, and it repaired it so windows started normally. We try to put the video card back in and it still wont even start up. Then I plugged the monitory back into the mobo, but kep the video card in the computper. Then it started up and i installed the drivers, display drivers, nvidia drivers, everything that was on the CD. so we try starting it up on the video card and it still doesnt work. What could be the problem?

it was seated very securly, i checked that twice. And the video card worked like a week ago on my computer, before i got my new customized one. Anything else you suggest? And i doubt it is damaged, because it had been in the anti-static wrap, and inside the box on my shelf for the past week.

EDIT : I dont think this could be the problem because it is a fairly old graphics card, but I even tried installing all the windows updates, but for some reason it says access denied when installing the Sevice Pack 2.

I think you enter the Bios and then to vga settings or something... See if the monitor cant support the card, maybe its that, how much of video did the computer have before?

we fixed it. Just had to uninstall the drivers through the device manager. The card is installed and already being used, thanks anyways.

One big issue is that you have failed to mention what you are installing this new card in.... If it is an intel built in graphics there will be a major issue...The intel graphics drivers must be totally uninstalled from the system before installing the other card. You can do this from the device manager.
Just find the video adapter and highlight it and choose to remove drivers this will prompt you to uninstalling this from your machine.yes.ok and DO NOT RESTART..
Now go to add/remove and look for the intel graphics driver support file ( you maynot have this) and remove it from the system again do not reboot yet. Just shut down the system and install the new graphics card and hook up to it and all...... now turn on the system and go into the bios.

to do this toggle the DEL key or what ever your computer prompts to enter SET UP. within the bios you will need to find the VGA line and change it from
on-board to agp or pci which ever card you have. then press the F10 key to save and exit bios and as the pc starts windows new hardware wizard will inform you of the new graphics card and you will want to direct it to install from cd for the drivers and all to install.

Back
Top Bottom