my computer got struck by lightning

dewdman101

Baseband Member
hey last friday my comp got buzzed, is my whole thing fried or is it just the power supply? i took the power supply out and it smelt like a motor that had been ran too long and burnt out or one that has been burnt out, anyways yea....it had that 'smell'. anyways should i chunk it or just buy a new power supply.

thx

dewdman101 said:
hey last friday my comp got buzzed, is my whole thing fried or is it just the power supply? i took the power supply out and it smelt like a motor that had been ran too long and burnt out or one that has been burnt out, anyways yea....it had that 'smell'. anyways should i chunk it or just buy a new power supply.

thx

Well if the powersupply had a good overvolt/overwatt control, it may not have fried the PC. Was the PC on at the time?

it might have just taken itself it also might have took the MOBO and CPU. it probably wiped the HDD too.

You might want to just buy a really cheap power supply and see if it works, then buy a new one of it does. But that might cost a lot, so you might not want to do that. But if it was really cheap, it might not have a good overvolt control or whatever, and fried the motherboard and hard drive.

ok heres what happened...i smelt the things...blah blah, i took out my harddrive and plugged it into my friends comp...it worked, the comp was on at the time. it was plugged into a surge protector. and it was frounded into the wall also. ooh and lightning sturck the house and the lights went out if you havnt already figured it out, the lightning knocked out 2 circuts in the breaker box and blew a fuse completely out of the wall. i had to re wire the circuts and it screwed my fridge up also...i had to buy a new one. well that might help. sorry i got a lil carried away there haha

Still haven't got it to work? Borrow a PSU from someone and test the pc with it. If it doesn't work then the mobo is gone, and maybe some other parts too.

I thought that you would have fixed it too ...
Anywayz some parts did probably fried out if it was strong enough to kill your fridge, which was quite a bummer and would be costly to replace ...

you would have to check with someone else powersupply or take your comp and or test your comp with a friends parts.

Back
Top Bottom