Having trouble with file and print sharing

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I've got the router working and both my desktop and laptop are connected to the internet just fine. Now how do I enable file and print sharing between the two computers?

I tried the Setup home or small office network from the control panel on both computers, but nothing happens. I gave them same workgroup name and identified each PC with a different ID name so I can tell which computer is what. I enabled file and print sharing and see the hand on the bottom of the printer.

Do I need to install print drivers on both computers to share printer? I tried to find the networked shared printer but nothing comes up even though printer sharing has been enabled.

I am assuming the OS is Windows XP. Make sure that in control panel the Windows Firewall > Exceptions Tab > File and Printer Sharing box is checked on both machines. The print drivers will be installed on the connecting computer automaticly. Try going to run and typing the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) , Ex. \\ComputerName
this will open the shares on that computer. If you recieve the error message "the network path could not be found." Check your network settings: run> type "cmd"> ipconfig /all. Make sure that the computers are on the same subnet. Ex. 192.168.1.XXX And subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 Attempt to ping the computer through command prompt. Ex. ping 192.168.1.XXX If you can ping the computer. try in run> \\IP-Address

If this doesnt work could you give more explanation of your network setup. Ex. Router type?, Computers OS?, Wireless?, etc.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I checked the ip address on each one and subnet. Both PCs are running on the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). The IP address on each PC is well within each other's range and subnet. When I tried pinging each other, both timed out.

I tried the UNC before and with no luck. My router type is a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. Both computers (laptop, desktop) are running Windows XP. Laptop is running SP2 while the other PC is running SP1. I don't think that is significant enough for a solution. The desktop is wired with CAT 5e cable plugged into Port 1, while the laptop is of course running on built in BroadCom WLAN controller. I'm using the nvidia nforce networking controller for my desktop.

The default Gateway has been setup correctly for me to get out to the Net. I tried every convention of getting file and print sharing working in Windows except for crossover cables, but I don't want to do it that way.

Hey sorry for double posting this one, but I fixed the problem. NOrton Internet Security was blocking my connection the whole time, *roll eyes*. I can't believe I didn't think of that first. Now I got everything going again. I will allow my network to pass through.

THanks for the help, Zderadicka. You were on the right track though. I just find it odd that I'm not getting sharing even though I am confident my network's configured properly.

No problem. Just for my knowledge. Is there a option or setting that is specific to the file and printer sharing in N.I.S.?

I'm looking at it right now and I don't see one in specific in relation to Microsoft's file and print sharing. You have to go into Norton Internet Security, then to the Configure button. There is a tab at the top that allows Networking configuration access for Home, Office, or Away. You can statically assign sets of address you want to allow which I did for my private home network.

Back
Top Bottom