First Build

Spooney

Baseband Member
Hi there. I'm new to the whole self-built computer thing and I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to figure out which parts to buy as well as figuring out which parts are compatible with each other. I'm working with Canadian dollars here.

Note: I'm just copying and pasting these from store sites which I plan on buying from. (Can't buy online)

- Asus nForce4 Ultra ATX DDR400 w/ 8 channel audio, GLAN, SATA-R, PCle, 1394, USB 2
- AMD® Athlon64 3200+ Socket-939 512K Box
- MSI (MS-8974-050) NX6800 GT-T2D256E 256MB DDR3 PCI-E w/TV & D- DVI
- OCZ 4001024 PDC-K (1G Premier Kit)
- Maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache SATA
- Creative SB AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1, 24 BIT Sound Card
- Lite-On SOHW1633S /B/BK DVDRW 16x8 INT. Retail
- Re-use CD-R Drive
- Raidmax Samurai Tower w/ 420W P/S

With all of this, it amounts to close to $2000CAN (my budget). I don't really know where I could cut back while not sacrificing too much. Thanks in advance!

why dont you just reuse the old monitor, the old speakers, the old computer case and just buy 1 motherboard 1 cpu 2 pieces of ram. YOu only have to spend 1 grand canadian, even less. man if i had 2000 canadian i could built a much better computer than that. i just spent 470 actually (canadian) and i have the same set up as you. 3200 amd 64 939 with motherboard. remove old motherboard from old computer case and put in it yourself. you dont really need a sound card use on board (save even more money that could go to something else more important).

It goes like this for me i spent 450 for motherboard and 3200 amd 64 cpu then another 450 for my 6800gt. Thats 1000 even less. Reuse all the old stuff trust me, hell you could even buy a 7800gtx if you reuse your old computer case, monitor, harddrive, speakers.

my prices are canadian by the way i live in toronto. and i spent just a hair under 1000 and i have exact setup as what you are buying for 2000.
where do you live in canada, is it toronto by any chance.

Well the problem with using some of these old parts is that this computer I'm using right now is 5 years old. It currently runs a Celeron 533mhz. It's that old...as for the other specs, I'm not too sure about those.

you know what i would do with 2000 canadian, use 1000 on ram, amd 64 cpu, and motherboard, you might be able to fit a sound card in. THen i would take the other 1000 and spend it on 7800gtx. forget about the cd burner and all other crap, you can get that latter. you might even have 300 or so left over for a harddrive and a cd burner, i would just get a huge harddrive.

dont worry about it all computer cases can fit in atx motherboards perfectly. just line up the holes with the motherboard and your done. you unscrew the old motherboard and you can use the same scews for the new one, just make sure that the new motherboard is not touching the computer case when turned on (this is very important).

if you can install the motherboard and other parts yourself spend 20 dollars and futureshop or bestbuy will do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom