Windows Longhorn?

Microsoft was never really good for coming up with names for they're software like just the name "windows" is kinda stupid... but I know why they named it that. My friend said just to despise Microsoft he's gonna make an OS named Doors.. I thought it was really funny that he said that :p yeah anyways.

Chris

Well it was named Windows because of GUI sytem. It displayed "Windows" onto the screen. Hence the name Windows.

As for Vista. Their campaign is Connected. Clear. Confident. So yes, it fits.

We have MSDN at work and are a MS Partner... I'm currently developing an app on avalon which is really cool. Avalon is sort of key to Longhorn - the gui is being developed using it. That is really good because avalon so far has been blazingly fast and very reliable. I'm using the rc1 avalon candidate and have ran into very little bugs although the features in this realease are only about 40% implemented, they're adding some features like media in the november release (which we really need) but according to the microsoft guy I talked to they're already using many un-released features in-house and that what's currently out there hasn't even scratched the surface! This is all good because much of longhorn is being built off of the avalon platform. Also he said (most of you already know) over half of MS's development budget is going torwards longhorn and most of the OS is being re-written including the kernel. And lastly... don't count on the end of 06 release date - my bets are on early 2nd quarter 07. Anyways as soon as beta 1 comes out I'll post a nice review!

Microsoft has announced the name of the next version of Windows due to replace the aging Windows XP. The company says that the next version, which until now has been known only by its code name 'Longhorn' will be called Windows Vista.

Microsoft has also announced that the first publicly available Beta 1 of Vista will become available by 3 August 2005. This initial release will be aimed primarily at developers and other IT professionals. This should enable the software development community to get a head start on the operating system and enable them to get new applications and drivers completed ready for the launch period next year.

The company has already said that another cut of Beta 1 for developers is likely to appear in September.

A more widely available Beta 2 for end users is not likely to appear until the beginning of 2006.

Among the claims made for Vista is that it will load applications 15 per cent faster and boot 50 per cent faster than the existing Windows XP.

The announcement of the Vista name means that Microsoft is now pretty sure about the final release date sometime towards the back end of 2006. The five-year gap between the release of XP and Vista is the longest there has been between major releases of Microsoft operating systems and represents the complexity of writing a modern OS.

Even so, the announcement comes almost a year since Microsoft was forced to abandon the new WinFS file system from Longhorn for the launch, in order to deliver the Vista 'in a reasonable time frame'. Microsoft now says that the new file system will only be in beta at launch.

Back
Top Bottom