hyper transport

ajschwab2004 said:
I think its like HyperThreadin gon the Intel processors

Hyper-Threading is like making a "Virtual CPU". It tells the BIOS that there's another core, when there isn't. It's like splitting a single core CPU into two. Even though it's not as good as a multiple core processor, it generally increases performance by 50%.

Yeah, if your Pentium 4 is a Pentium 4 w/ HT, then it already has it activated the moment you start it up.

HyperTransport technology is a high-speed, low latency, point-to-point link designed to increase the communication speed between integrated circuits in computers, servers, embedded systems, and networking and telecommunications equipment up to 48 times faster than some existing technologies.

duh.

Hyper threading and hyper transport are two very different things. Most current Intels have hyper threading. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it basically improves multitasking and allows the CPU to process multiple streams of data at once (or something to that effect [DO A GOOGLE!]).

Hyper transport is used by most current AMDs. I'm also not very familiar with how exactly it works, but it somehow increases the amount of data that can be processed (hence, hyper transport). Once again, do a Google to get more info. The most recent AMD processor - Athlon X2 - is a true dual core processor. This is a step ahead of Intel's hyper threading, as I understand it.

In any case, just remember to not confuse Intel's hyper threading with AMD's hyper transport as they are both called HT.

Back
Top Bottom