Major Computer Issue

2004 GT RagTop

Baseband Member
I have a Dell something or other PC, too lazy to look up the model number. And for the past couple weeks it has been screwed up BADLY. Whenever I boot I always get this message that says "Winlogon.exe encountered a problem and has been shutdown", and shortly after my computer gets this blue screen that says system has been shutdown, or failed, or something, and I have to push the button to turn off my computer. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS! I ran Mcafee and it found a couple viruses, ran Adware and it found a bunch of stuff, ran spyware SND and it found some stuff, AND I have the Mcafee Firewall running, what's going on? I'm guessing it's something with the winlogon thing, but I don't know how to fix it. I just bought this computer a few months back, so it's really irritating.

start up into safe mode...by hitting F8 at start up and selecting safe mode

then open the command prompt by going to start>run>then at this box type "CMD" and hit enter

now you are at a black window type: "sfc /scannow" and hit enter and follow the on screen instructions

(without the quotations)

thanks.

Well I typed sfc /scannow, and then it told me I had the options of scanning now, scanning on the next boot, purging, reverting, and something else, I then typed /SCANNOW since thats what it said, and it said it couldn't recognize it, i typed sfc [/scannow] and it just gave me the options again, did it not work or was the scan really that fast? I didn't get the winlogon.exe error message after the restart, but I get the feeling my comp is about to turn off in a couple minutes lol

k.

Well it didn't work since my computer just came up with the stupid blue screen that says STOP, FATAL System error, I rebooted and got the winlogon.exe error as well.

Sounds like you just need to reinstall. Install Microsoft Antispyware and SP2 from the start, that should stop you getting most problems like whatever made that happen. Make sure you have at least an SP1 version of XP to install, you won't have the time to download it once XP is installed before something gets the Computer again :D

I'm assuming that you're talking about the System Recovery cd? If so...I didn't get one with this comp. I have decided I want to start over completly, and just do the system recovery, but how do I do it without the cd??

You'll need the CD your computer came with to do a recovery. Either that, or a Windows XP CD in itself. Does your computer have an XP Serial Key sticker on the side? If you could download a Windows XP Version, Pro if you have a Pro Serial, Home if you have a Home Serial, then you could install it and use your legal Key.

Back
Top Bottom