Which OS is best?

Can I put forward the case for Windows 2000?

Very very fast (it'll run on a total donkey of a system, some of which are about 8 years old now), very efficient and clean, damn stable, loaded with features, pretty secure considering it's 5 years old, less bloated than XP.

I hear it won't run some of the very latest games though.

XP is basically 2000 with a few new features, a new interface, and made more suitable for home use. So there's not a lot in it, I'd say.

Techy Geek said:
if you're looking for no problems, MS isnt the place to look, I'd give Linux a go if I were you, apart from that, I wouldnt know. It stands to reason that XP would be the best, as it is the most recent, but with older versions they will have had more time to flatten out the bugs, so I'm not sure
Microsoft Windows is the only no problems Operating System! And XP of course is the best consumer version of that, unless you'd like to go into 2003, which is of course the best version of that, being how it takes off the disadvantage of XP, being a consumer Operating System, and adds an advantage Linux has, the only reason it is as stable as XP, it is a Server Operating System. Linux only seems as stable. A Table with a feather on it cannot be said as more stable as a stronger Table with an elephant on it, merely because it does not need repairing so often.

The_Necromancer said:
its like my sexual desires, i prefer brunettes, but if there is a hot blond, i wont hesitate. Its just a preference.
I know the feeling, but you can't just go by hair! :D

but onto the Point :D
Grandiosevision said:
Techy Geek, I love the Avatar...If that's what you call 'em. Everytime I come to the site I move my pointer around just to watch his head move. I may never know how to do these things...anyway, Alvino, sorry but you're not 100% correct. Part of the reason that I was so frustrated with XP is because I have a game called "Archangel" by JoWood / Metropolis that I've been waiting about 1 and a half years to try. Win 98 would install it but would crash for lack of memory I think. Win XP wouldn't even install it. It won't read the bottom half of the second install screen, where you have to accept the terms/ agreement policy. If anyone understands what I mean and knows how to solve this I'd appreciate the info...Grandiose
How old is this Game? Windows 2000 may be the best option if this is an old game.

anynoe have any screenshots of linux systems? i dont know what linux looks like and im curious

Linux is good but not all games are ported to linux. Actualy very few are. I would say XP. I use it and its actualy pretty good. SP2 restored at least a little faith in Microsoft. For the love of god do not get ME. That OS is horrible. I have only heard bad things. Just dont get ME

Lord Kalthorn, I found your post to be particularly interesting. I've gotten far more responses from this thread than I had anticipated, plz keep 'em coming. I'm starting to get an idea of what Linux is about. But, I like compatibility. The big thing for me is that when I go out to buy a new game for pc, I want to know that when I get it home it will certainly run. Though I might add that I'm a stickler for simplicity, esp. with an OS. At my home you'd sooner find a feather on the table than an elephant. :) If I'm understanding correctly, I'll probably stick with xp for it's nice features and compatibility with newer games. Though, I may go with 2000 for its simplicity and lack of "bloatedness", whick I think describes xp perfectly...I hated it when I first got it, but I was used to win 98. One last question, I think I understand the basic difference between a consumer OS and a server OS, but what exactly does this mean for the performance of each type in detail?? I'm looking for a response from Lord Kalthorn, however all responses are highly valued!!

Consumer OS is there for functionality. If you've ever used Server 2003 from install, you'll find Audio is switched off, all Visual Themes are switched off, the Kernal is more powerful and stable. If you get XP Pro and stick it with say 50 Processes, you'll get lag. You try that on Server 2003, you'll get the same as with 30, and it goes on up to 60, 70, depends ho big the Processes are but it wil stay stable. That is what a Server OS is there for, you can switch on the functionality of the Server OS, especially in 2003 Server, but it isn't standard and many things won't run on it. They updated that in SP1, and now lots of things run on it, basically everything that runs on XP.

But that is basically that, in most Server OSs, it is built for stability, power and continued use. Security is major two, it will track every shut down, every restart. If it shuts down without a reason, or you say you're shutting down because of a Driver fault, it will roll back the Drivers to the previous working state. These things are expensive in a Consumer OS, and so Microsoft don't put it in, Server OS is more expensive, and they put it in. Consumer OS is for functionality, many security features are not there to accomodate for Functionality and ease. Internet Explorer's Lockdown state, how it is in default, is not on XP because it makes Browsing very complicated.

If people were to be up to controlling these factors, they'd make Server OSs for us and we'd buy them. But at the moment, they are not, and buying a Server OS for a Consumer PC is not a valid option for most people who use a computer.

Back
Top Bottom