Microsoft names new system Vista

they'd get more money and not have to worry about linux if they actually made their os stable and free of insecurities.

They don't write an operating system from scratch because software works with Windows, Drivers work with Windows, and Windows is upwards of 30 Million Lines of Code for just the Kernal! It would be too hard, take too long, and involve too many points where they have to fall back on old technology, it would not help the situation.

An Operating System without problems does not exist. To expect Microsoft to write such an Operating System and not to expect the same of Linux is hypocritical :p

What crap did they have to deal with from Windows XP? Windows XP is amazing, and a fabulous idea to bring the two code bases together for Security. All the 'problems' with Windows XP came from the amazing change of the Internet since it was released, a problem Linux would have faced in worse magnitude were one distribution to have the same market percentage as Windows.

Lord Kalthorn said:
An Operating System without problems does not exist. To expect Microsoft to write such an Operating System and not to expect the same of Linux is hypocritical :p
at least Linux makes progress in dealing with their problems. Windows has been affected with virii and spyware since over 10 years.

Lord Kalthorn said:
What crap did they have to deal with from Windows XP? Windows XP is amazing, and a fabulous idea to bring the two code bases together for Security. All the 'problems' with Windows XP came from the amazing change of the Internet since it was released, a problem Linux would have faced in worse magnitude were one distribution to have the same market percentage as Windows.
The fact that WinXP broke when these changes came and Linux did not is an excellent example of bad programming :D

And Linux is getting to be very popular these days. Many foreign governments have been contemplating switching to Linux. Most websites run on Linux. In recent news, HP has decided to sell their major servers with Linux. You think Linux does not have a growing and significant marketshare? come out of your shell and see what a world without random crashes is like ;)

Tulsileaf said:
And Linux is getting to be very popular these days. Many foreign governments have been contemplating switching to Linux. Most websites run on Linux. In recent news, HP has decided to sell their major servers with Linux. You think Linux does not have a growing and significant marketshare? come out of your shell and see what a world without random crashes is like ;)
Significant Marketshare depends on what you think is significant. As far as I am aware, Firefox has more Marketshare in Browsers than all Linux Distributions have in Operating Systems :D On a Consumer Level of course, and that is what drives Spyware, Virus, Trojan Coders.

The very fact that Linux does have problems, with a Statistically insignificant userbase of mostly Technical Users who should know how to clean their Computers is a sign that Windows is far more secure. You talk of problems with Windows, they are occouring on Computers run by people who can't use a Calculator and type with one finger. I have already said, I have never had a problem with Windows, nobody I know has ever had a problem with Windows and some of them are pretty useless with Computers. Perhaps because of keeping it up to date, installing all the latest Security Patches, and making sure I don't download anything uncouth, but that is merely what you should do. I have no Virus Software, I have no third-party Firewall, I have only Microsoft's Spyware Remover, and I am on the Internet, downloading on Bearshare about 18 hours of the day, half of them without me even watching the Computer. No problems.

The Internet has changed purely in useage and bandwidth, more people use it, practicaly all Windows PCs are on the Internet, a lot al the time on Broadband. Before XP, that would be crazy. There are so many more ways to get a Virus now that would not have been thought of when they built XP in 99/2000.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Significant Marketshare depends on what you think is significant. As far as I am aware, Firefox has more Marketshare in Browsers than all Linux Distributions have in Operating Systems :D On a Consumer Level of course, and that is what drives Spyware, Virus, Trojan Coders.
Trojans, Spyware and Viruses are also driven by poorly designed code with numerous exploits.

Lord Kalthorn said:
The very fact that Linux does have problems, with a Statistically insignificant userbase of mostly Technical Users who should know how to clean their Computers is a sign that Windows is far more secure.
Linux's problems are not as harmful to a system as it is on Windows. I'd like to see you name 3 problems that will seriously compromise a system running Linux.

Lord Kalthorn said:
You talk of problems with Windows, they are occouring on Computers run by people who can't use a Calculator and type with one finger.
i type with one finger :(

Lord Kalthorn said:
I have already said, I have never had a problem with Windows, nobody I know has ever had a problem with Windows and some of them are pretty useless with Computers.
And I have never had any problems wi9th Linux. In fact, i don't have to run any virus scanners or spyware scanners on Linux at all, ever.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Perhaps because of keeping it up to date, installing all the latest Security Patches, and making sure I don't download anything uncouth, but that is merely what you should do.
I have the latest service packs and patches on windows. i have a spyware scanner and a virus scanner. and yet my system still was infected by a virus without me doing anything more than connecting to the internet.
its worse in America where most people do not have broadband (this is due to crappy prices and crappy regulations - i have broadband though:)) and can not download updates in a timely manner.

Lord Kalthorn said:
I have no Virus Software, I have no third-party Firewall, I have only Microsoft's Spyware Remover, and I am on the Internet, downloading on Bearshare about 18 hours of the day, half of them without me even watching the Computer. No problems.
I wonder how many viruses would be found on your system if we actually did a scan. :D

Lord Kalthorn said:
The Internet has changed purely in useage and bandwidth, more people use it, practicaly all Windows PCs are on the Internet, a lot al the time on Broadband. Before XP, that would be crazy. There are so many more ways to get a Virus now that would not have been thought of when they built XP in 99/2000.
yes, these "new" ways are all due to exploits in the WinXP code that are not there in Linux. Its not that Viruses are an invention of the 21st century. There have been viruses on Windows since its creation and Microsoft has done little to prevent the development of new ones.

I like MS products, they rarely cause me any great hassle.

For all the hassle people give MS, could they themselves write something better? Probably not, at least not within anything like a sensible timescale.

malbuc87uk said:
For all the hassle people give MS, could they themselves write something better? Probably not, at least not within anything like a sensible timescale.
is this a challenge? i feel I might take it on.

btw, MANY people have written operating systems. we only hear of two of them because thats the way humans work, only think of two opposites at any single time. crazy humans, elves have always been better.

Haha, that is a way to look at it. But Linux Code get Viruses and Spyware, so it too has poorly designed code with numerous exploits :D

Hmmm... tell me three things that would seriously harm a system using Windows XP SP2 fully updated?

Haha, I didn't say people who type with one finger were bad :D It is just my generalisation that MOST people who do it aren't good with computers, because they're used to typing and they type with more.

The best people don't have problems with it, which means the code is perfectly good on either, User Error purely creates problems.

I have had Windows with Dialup for upwards of 7 years before I had broadband, no problems on those Operating Systems either; 98, 98SE, 2000, even Me. Nothing.

None, I scan on McAffee's Web Scanner a few times a month, I get none, I don't do it more often because I have over 100k Files and it takes a while.

There are less exploits in XP than in Me, and less in XP Pro than in 2000. The only OS that has less exploits than XP is 2003 Server, Linux has more, they just haven't been found yet. :D You can't, and it is obvious, develop a way to stop Viruses, it will always happen short of destroying everybody with the knowledge to make them, in which case you wouldn't have any good Software.

We hear of three Operating Systems, we don't talk about the Third because it is superfluous, and we don't hear about the rest because they're crap :D

I would love to reply to this nonsense but I have to go. :(

its so fun arguing with LK, no one else gives me a rush like he does :D

Back
Top Bottom