Soon to be college student, looking for help!

2004 GT RagTop

Baseband Member
Hey whats up everyone?

I'm going to start college (University of Michigan) this upcoming September, and so I will be purchasing a laptop. I'm not too knowledgable on computers, just the very very basic when it comes to technical stuff.

Anyways I was looking at purchasing a Toshiba or Sony, I always have viewed those as quality computers even though I have never owned one. Not going to buy a Compaq or Dell (Bad experience with both, Compaq more than Dell), and want to stay away from HP as well (bad expereince here as well lol).

I basically just want to know if I am looking at the right computer brands for college since this is a HUGE purchase

This Toshiba seems to be a SOLID computer, but like I said, I don't know much about techincal stuff.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tosh...sem/rpsm/oid/126423/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I plan on playing games once in awhile, nothin major. Ann Arbor is going to be wireless connected soon, so a friend told me I should go with a Centrino processor. I have no idea about processors either, so what are some pros and cons about the main processors.

Basically I need alot of help and opinons, any and all responses are welcome, thanks!

Toshiba...

Ok from my personal use of Toshiba I have found the machines to be stable, rock solid and a snap to use. I have a tecra 520cdt that is coming up on 8 years old and has all the factory installed parts. It has been dropped and overheated and like a Timex it keeps on ticking.
The tech support I get has been quick and knowledgable. Maybe a fluke but I like to think it's more of a better product.
I have used several Sony lap systems but not enough to make a postive or negative comment about them. Hopefully a Sony user will stop by and offer an opinion on those systems.

You can do better than Circuit City. They are higher than a cats back. And the mail in rebate will have you waiting for the check for a good while. Shop around some and I bet you can get that price or better without a rebate...

Re: Toshiba...

setishock said:
Ok from my personal use of Toshiba I have found the machines to be stable, rock solid and a snap to use. I have a tecra 520cdt that is coming up on 8 years old and has all the factory installed parts. It has been dropped and overheated and like a Timex it keeps on ticking.
The tech support I get has been quick and knowledgable. Maybe a fluke but I like to think it's more of a better product.
I have used several Sony lap systems but not enough to make a postive or negative comment about them. Hopefully a Sony user will stop by and offer an opinion on those systems.

You can do better than Circuit City. They are higher than a cats back. And the mail in rebate will have you waiting for the check for a good while. Shop around some and I bet you can get that price or better without a rebate...

thanks for the reply. Good to hear about the Toshiba, sounds solid. I wasn't really planning on buying from Circuit City, was just using it to show you guys what computer i'm interested in right now.

Oh and to the last poster, that LOOKS like a sweet laptop, but I've never heard of the brand (newb like I said), and it's a AMD processor, is that a good or bad thing in comparison to the Centrino? My price range is a max of around 1600 I think, I don't think I want to strech it furthur than that.

Also why won't I be able to play games on the Toshiba? Bad video card? Is a upgrade costly?

when looking for a computer you will probably want something with a 64 bit processor with higher cache (1 gig best), DDR 400 or DDR2 ram, Harddrives that have 7200 RPM, and non integrated graphic cards. A computer that you see that has all four is a GREAT computer. And with ram try to get 512 mb at the least, sometimes companies have great laptops but only put in 256 ram... which can slow a computer with better components down.

As for brand... I personaly like Toshiba. They are great quality and durability.

Upgrades can be costly... so you don't want to screw up a purchace...
Just look for the things i metioned above and you should be fine.

Here is a VERY NICE COMPUTER within your range...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115189

ANOTHER
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp? Item=N82E16834147236

This would be a great computer to upgrade yourself if you know how to...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224022

A gaming laptop will be expensive. You could probably fit it in with 1600 but its not going to be great. When I go to college I know im takin my desktop with me for games and laptop for work cause no one else needs it at home. IDK if you have that luxury but that might be an option for ya. Not to confuse you more but I have heard good things about HP.

You'll pay for it to be light, try and find something heavy so that you can get the power you want in the price you want.

The Acer elmonomalo recommended is a great goer. Don't worry about it not being Centrino, you can easily accomodate a Network, or a Wireless Network, without it, just not so easily. You'll pay for Centino through the nose and it is not worth it on a Student Budget. 15m of Cat5e cable should do you fine.

That looks like a VERY NICE COMPUTER... I wish i had thousands of dollars to spend on computers, but i don't :(

In American money with shipping it costs about 2130 dollars

Back
Top Bottom